CHAPTER VI

M A K A Y L A 

The moment the words left Proximo's lips my world fell away around me.

The second the incriminating words slipped from him and he threw me a dark look it made me wish I could send myself on a shuttle back into space... But the very worst part of it all was Alex's complete dismissal of it. That she only got more angry he would even suggest such a thing because she trusted me that much. It didn't even cross her mind for a second.

I didn't deserve it.

She attacked him more viciously than I'd ever seen her send punches my way. It was like watching a betrayed sibling go for the throat. Proximo knew exactly what he had done and I couldn't even fault him for doing it for whatever motive. I was the one that hadn't told her.

I was so lost in us. In running away from it all–escaping my father's demise and this city that the kiss between Velron and I just became nothing. But now it wasn't nothing.

Alex sent a kick for his head and Proximo leaned away with a smirk in place as she lost more of her restraint in the fight and started going for places I didn't even think possible–

I couldn't stand here while she beat her second to a pulp for me. For him just speaking the truth. Between another jab and a duck he caught my eye again with a lethal look. One that said it never trusted me and I stared back. Before he looked back to Alex and sent a punch at her which she dismissed in rage.

"Stop." I said, not even sure of my own voice.

They didn't hear me so I stepped closer and took a deep breath.

"Stop it!" I shouted.

Alex faltered a step and quickly glanced my way hearing the desperation in it. Proximo already lowered his hands and watched me with an unreadable expression.

"Alex, I need to talk to you. Alone." I clarified in a quieter voice.

The way she looked at me made me want to throw myself off all 250 floors of that damn tower it had happened in. Her look was so unsure and frozen with something else. Something that was reading more into what Proximo had said.

She finally stepped back and stared at Proximo for a second who gave her an emotionless look.

Then she dropped down to the floor and met my eyes more closely with a hesitance that almost broke me. "Come." She nodded towards the lift.

I stared at her back as she led us down the dark black training floor to the lift. The silence between us was heavy in the air. I deserved all the weight on my heart and she deserved none of the doubt. Because Proximo had known all this time... had a source inside the very bar we kissed. I could only think of Matty–rethink every exchange we'd ever had because it now occurred to me that she had been informing to the Division for longer than I realised.

We emerged into an empty room of modern design and sleek furniture. The floors were stone and felt as cold as my heart.

Alex turned slowly to me and watched my eyes with her burning gold.

"Tell me." She murmured quietly.

I swallowed and struggled to hold that beautiful gaze.

"I couldn't–couldn't let you attack him like that." I got out between a measured breath.

She waited.

"When I was taken. When I was in my tower something happened." I began, noticing the way she went so very still. The way her softness and warmth towards me fled so rapidly. "Please just–listen before you–"