CHAPTER XIII

P R O X I M O

I would bleed that President's son dry for every ounce of information on Sector 1's weapon and defence systems. Then I would bleed him all the same for bothering to exist.

Red and black layered guards dropped me nods and fists to chests as they opened doors and cleared space. What I did not have time to appreciate was the glow on my wrist comm. I glanced down at it. Then pressed on. It lit again as I turned to the final hall where Velron Archeon was being held.

"Incoming comm from, Zander, Florence."

I almost tripped over into the wall. How in every hell did she have a direct line to my personal comm–

"Florence." I growled. "You have no reason to possess this line–"

"I miss you." She purred.

I stopped and eyed the metal doors ahead before blowing out a heavy breath.

"Who gave you this comm, Florence? It is for Division contacts–"

"I had a client, he knew a guy... blah blah blah." She drawled, sounding like she had just flopped down on a bed. "–I want you here, Proxy." She murmured.

"You know exactly why I am not. I will see you when I see you." I stated firmly, preparing to end this extremely invasive intrusion. She was becoming attached. Too close. Yet it was her contact above all others that held my interest so... That darkness. The energy.

"Take me out later." She ordered.

"I am working–"

"9pm don't be late."

"I have not even said yes!" I growled.

"You can choose where." She added cheerfully, already seeing she would get her way. "–we'll have fun." She finished with dark promise making my blood boil and cool at the same time.

The comm went dead.

I turned and punched the metal wall. It sang with a clang under my glove and I glared at it enjoying the faint ache around my fingers. I smiled despite it all. A set of footsteps was approaching around the corner and I shrugged my heavy coat back into place. A guard rushed me a quick salute and I nodded him off as I took the final steps to the cell door.

"Proximo?"

I turned in surprise at the familiar voice of Makayla Xavier.

"I did not expect you here, Miss Xavier." I stated cooly. Pulling back from the door and appraising her more fully. She glanced at the cell before meeting my eyes with an innocent blue.

"I'm here to talk to him, Prox."

My eyebrows raised before I crossed my arms and let a lazy smile take hold.

"You have experience with information extraction?" I drawled.

"You know he's close to me. You know he'll trust me." She said slowly.

I sniffed and nodded. "Quite. You are very close."

She grit her teeth and I grin widely back. Teasing the Royal was quickly becoming a hobby. I raised my hands innocently to her.

"I will allow you to proceed as you wish. But I will be watching in observation overhead." I nodded to the door next to it leading to the deck above the room.

"When are you every going to trust me, damn it." She sighed, pushing past me to access the cell door. It flashed red and denied her in a cheerful voice. I came beside her silently and pressed a palm to it.