CHAPTER XXVII

"We're conditioned to think that our lives revolve around great moments. But great moments often catch us unaware – beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one." 

― Kent Nerburn

M A K A Y L A

Properly dressed in combat leggings and several degrees of lethality over my hips and arms, I made my way to the mess hall for all of the Division's training grunts.

While Alex and Proximo dealt with the next great threat I wanted to get to know someone with much less power to their name. In body and stature. I scanned the room for him. It was a sea of red and black combat gear, loud conversation and rows of in-training Division 52 agents.

"Oi blondie!"

I tilted my head at the bruised jaw of Dex. A casual smirk graced my lips and I approached his table with my hands on my hips. He set down a fork and gestured across from him. The only free space. I slid into the bench feeling strangely incognito among the Division's ranks.

"I thought Proximo may have killed you by now." I deadpanned.

His grin was wide and he set his hands flat.

"Oh me and Proximo are tight. It's you I was more concerned about..." He snorted. The others returned to their conversations around us uninterested.

"I'm looking for Lee." I answered instead.

He frowned hard and sniffed, "Why?"

I started to get out of the seat. His hand landed on my forearm and I glared at it until he dropped it again with a sigh. "Kid wasn't... adjusting too well. I think some lads have been trying to pressure him out."

I resisted the growl in my throat, "Does Proximo know?"

He grunted and pushed his blonde fringe back from his eyes. "Proximo would call it character building... If he makes it to training tomorrow."

"Where is he?!" I snapped, gaining the attention of several others now. Dex raised an eyebrow before shrugging out of his bench and leaving his food behind. I sighed in frustration. 

"I do not need a bodyguard, thank you." I hissed.

"But you need someone who knows where those dickheads hang out. And for someone not here long you sure do have friends in high places..." He drawled, with a smirk. I turned for the exit uninterested in wasting more time. I heard him clamber over the long table and take my side.

"I think you've realised by now that it isn't a good idea to piss me off, Dex."

He nodded easily, flexing his arms in a t-shirt that was a size too small. I snorted thinking about turning a corner and coming face to face with the head and second of the Division like this. He cast me a curious look as we paced through the corridors of the lower ranks.

"Dorms are over this way."

I nodded once and we made our way quickly to the large sleeping rooms of recruits. The doors hissed open. Empty. Row after row of bedding and few personal items in-between. I sighed through my nose.

"What did I say about time wasting?"

"Look–I don't have eyes on every agent in training–" He began.

"But the techies do." I interrupted, thinking ahead.

"I don't have access–"

"Shut up, follow me and don't make eye contact with anyone." I ordered, turning on my heel. He chuckled despite it and kept quiet. "You're going to show me which rooms you all have clearance to."