CHAPTER XXIII

"She had always found villains more exciting than heroes. They had ambition, passion. They made the stories happen. Villains didn't fear death. No, they wrapped themselves in death like suits of armour."

― Soman Chainani, The School for Good and Evil

M A K A Y L A

We walked for once down the streets. I wasn't interested in jumping into another plush fusion craft and it seemed neither did the crime lord next to me.

I watched the side of her face. Her hood was down, her hair woven intricately out of her face and down her back. She looked so damn normal like this it was easy to fantasise about what we spoke of in that space station. About running off and being... normal.

"You're staring." She stated as we strolled through a market that smelled of smoked meats and tobacco.

"You are interesting."

She crooked an eyebrow at me silently dodging a couple, before taking her place back beside me and scanning the crowds again.

"Did you... did you ever enjoy the power?"

She snorted, "The Division?"

"Yeah."

"I did." She admitted. "I could make things happen–the Emperor couldn't. I could control violence or I could unleash it." She gave me a sidelong look as she spoke, "–anyone that tells you otherwise is lying."

"But you have made many enemies..." I ventured, shaking my head at a vendor trying to sell me a meat stick.

"That is inevitable. No matter how clean you think your hands are. Power is only for the wolves."

"I'm surprised a wolf like Proximo never wanted the title." I mused.

This made her smirk strangely.

"Oh, Proximo wants nothing to do with the throne. I think Lazuras rather put him off... Though he took great joy in unseating a few rulers with me."

That made more sense.

"Did you ever enjoy it?" Alex asked in a low voice.

I snapped out of my thoughts and met those burning gold eyes. I swallowed and fidgeted with the side of my cargos.

"Don't be ridiculous I was trapped for much of my life–"

She chuckled richly with a wolfish grin. I cast her an irritated look.

"No please–continue. I do enjoy when you attempt to lie."

"I'm not!" I hissed, feeling my face flush.

Despite the civilians walking around us she closed in the space between us and pushed me into a darkened alley between two vendors. Her face was nothing but darkness and her hands trapped me on either side of my head against the metal.

"Try it again. I'm paying attention." She spoke slow, like she could draw this night out. It made my heart fly despite my trust in her. She became Scorpion so quickly. "Tell me you did not enjoy ordering those silver trimmed soldiers around every floor of that sky tower. That you did not enjoy life unlimited by funds or anything you set your eyes on."

The hesitation in me already told her my answer. I swallowed and breathed in the inches between us.

"Some. Some parts of that life I did enjoy using that... influence."