CHAPTER XXVI

S C O R P I O N 

My wrist holo flashed for the fifth time in the last ten minutes. So I took it off and launched it to an unknown corner of the room.

"Don't you need to get that?" Makayla murmured, sprawled naked across my bed.

I ran my hand all the way from her shoulder to the edge of her hips enjoying the shudder that went through her in the darkness. Makayla was preoccupied with mapping out the intricate tattoo running along my bicep.

"Some early hours are for bed... Especially when you're in it." I answered, tracing the curve of her hip with my eyes.

"Good. I was already planning to drag you back if you tried." She stated, not taking her eyes off the dark ink. The light from the city hit her in deep blues and greens through the curtains. She was like a mirage from my dreams with gold hair piling down one side. I smiled lazily and met her eyes. 

"I don't care if Proximo himself tried to take me out of here by force. The Division have had enough of me." I returned darkly.

"I haven't." She quipped, rolling forward off her shoulder and pressing my own back down against the bed. Her skin heated every inch of me under the sheets as she scanned my face. My jaw. My lips. She ran her fingers over them slowly and they parted.

"I wonder..." She mused, watching me closely.

"Mmm?"

"Are you getting another fusion cycle made?" She blurted.

I broke into a grin taking her hand and threading my fingers through her own.

"I can... Why would you be asking such dangerous questions?"

She pinned our hands beside my head and leaned towards me slowly, "I might miss it. Besides, if I'm on the back you won't dare to drive like a maniac again."

I arched an eyebrow with unhidden surprise. But my mind was already racing ahead with other items of business that didn't involve the end of a gun.

"I think it's time we furnished this place like the old keep." I decided, enjoying the grin that swept across her. I missed oak doors and their grandeur and history. I missed plush rugs that told stories and oil paintings that had seen so much. They stood the fight against time. They were warrior's items.

"You know the last person that gave me a credit bar with no limit greatly regretted it..." She drawled, "–in fact my trip to the dressmaker's ended on the wrong side of Scorpion herself."

I tilted my head at her with faux concern.

"You're right you would cripple the Division's finances in an afternoon."

"I could always buy you a dress–"

My glare was enough to cut off her words into a giggling child.

"The leader of Merridian's criminal empire does not walk anywhere dressed without lethality."

"But she would look gorgeous." She cooed.

"Don't make me show you where I hide a weapon in this bed, Makayla." I answered flatly.

There was only challenge in her eyes at the notion. I rolled my eyes and she dropped down to kiss my neck. I breathed out slowly pulling her body closer with my free hand.

"This place is a bit big to furnish fully." She mumbled against my skin making me shiver.

"I'm more interested in my personal space being filled with it." I retorted, running my hand up her back. "–and the armoury... my woman likes swords."