CHAPTER XVI

"Be not the slave of your own past - plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with new self-respect, with new power, and with an advanced experience that shall explain and overlook the old." 

― Ralph Waldo Emerson

M A K A Y L A

I was steps from a hover cab when a luxury craft dropped out the sky between the buildings with speed. I recognised the markings a few moments before a sharp pain suddenly ripped through my spine and electrified my body.

I grit my teeth and shouted into the night as I dropped to my knees. My comm flashed blue before short circuiting in my vision entirely. I was effectively dark to the outside world of comms.

Hands seized me at each arm and I swore unable to lift my head through the pain. The luxury craft doors opened to us and the men threw me in without delay. The door sealed behind and we were already taking off. I rolled my cheek against the fine carpet within and groaned.

A pair of boots spread wide near my head shifted.

I didn't bother to look up. I knew there was only one person that would dare–

"Get off my floor."

"What the fuck Prox–"

His glove wrapped around my throat and yanked me up into the seat opposite him. My eyes were wide and an anger rose rapidly inside me. I found my strength again and cut an elbow up to the weak point in his wrist. He dropped his hand but seized my arm with his other and drew a hidden blade angling it at my throat.

I watched his steel eyes with a cool look.

"Go ahead. It seems like you've been wanting to ever since I got back."

The rage dropped a touch in his eyes and he lowered the steel.

"Makayla. You've been fucking things up since you arrived." He growled low.

I laughed hollow and grabbed a glass from the side before offering it to him and plucking up an amber coloured bottle. Proximo held the glass wordless as I filled it and secured my own. I threw back the whiskey and leant back in the chair gesturing with my hand for him to speak.

He stared at me a moment longer before that half tattooed face finally broke into a smirk and he threw back his own drink.

"The woman I see before me is closer to Scorpion than I ever thought I'd live to see." He grunted, turning more serious as those lethal eyes ran over me. "Yet you still don't understand that your actions have consequences. Your very appearance in public... causes events to change. Do you understand what I'm saying?" He leaned forward on his arms.

I nodded slowly tilting my head. "You have no idea how close you sound to the Emperor himself."

He flinched before glaring.

"Your dead father and I never shared a thing–"

"Yet you tell me my actions and appearance have consequences." I smiled slowly, ignoring his death stare that used to intimidate. "Let's change things up a bit, Prox. Instead of the threats, the promises for change and other such bullshit–we can actually make something of this night."

"What." He grit out, tightening his hand on the glass.

"Your sister is still in the wind. I know Scorpion went after her and she was ready. So why don't we play a different game. A game with different faces. You must be tired of chasing ghosts as Division agents." I stated, leaning back and appraising him.