CHAPTER XXI

P R O X I M O

"What the fuck are you doing here?" I snarled, grabbing Flo's arm and practically throwing her into an empty office.

She picked this time to started laughing.

"Secure room!" I barked, before pacing in front of the long glass table. It wasn't enough. When she sobered behind me I kicked a chair off its legs and whirled on her.

"I receive a comm from Scorpion herself. Scorpion. Florence. What kind of game–"

"Oh, I don't find the situation any less appealing. It's just your face is always so adorable when you're upset..." She quipped dragging her tongue along the corner of her lips that were painted navy blue today.

"Could you not have dressed the part waltzing into the Division's base of operations?" I demanded, cutting a hand down to her exposed curves and chest. "I gave you that security clearance for emergencies." I growled.

"This is an emergency." She said cooly, glancing at her long nails.

I paused and set my feet, tensed and watched her closely.

"Well?" I demanded.

"Kuzo put a hit out on me."

"He. What?" I breathed.

She met my eyes with a nonchalance that no one in their right mind should have. Kuzo was not the Division but he was not someone to be on the wrong end of in the Underworld either. He ran the night. He had military grade weapons because we allowed that for his men. He could hunt in numbers. 

"Why. Flo." I got out slowly, standing closely before her and dropping my eyes to hers in darkness. But a dark anger was growing inside every inch of me. I would go to him myself. One word and his blacklist would disappear or his head would find the inside of a plasma round.

"I told him to go and fuck himself because no one else would." She answered sweetly. My exasperation was threatening to crack a smile. Thinking of her turning down her boss for sexual favours. Turning down anyone... How many times had she?

Why did she now...

Emotions were as foreign to Florence as they were to me. They had no place in our lines of work. It's what made this work. Anything else was impossible.

"That wouldn't cause him to do this." I probed, watching her as she angled her head up to me and dragged her eyes along my chest. They focused on the half Scorpion crest. The second's mark. She sighed and crossed her arms before me.

"No but telling him I was finished with him and his bullshit would. He threatened to send those bitches after me but I said I had..." She scanned me again, "–bigger things to move onto." The dark smile found her lips again.

"So you... you are out?" I asked quietly, checking her face for any sign.

The future of her life ran wild in my head for moments. Where she would run. Where the next line of her life would take her. She never took anything seriously–not even death. That made possibilities endless.

She dusted off my already clean pressed jacket and left her arms over my shoulders drawing herself closer. "I'm all yours, Proxy. Every inch of me." She whispers onto my lips making my thoughts cloud far too much.

I shook my head before her and cleared my throat.

"That doesn't explain–what you're doing here." I grit out, trying to send my desire to a far away place inside me.