CHAPTER LVIII

E M P R E S S    R Y K O

I slid through the floors of security like a shapeless grey blur. A face here. An identity there. I knew our window would close as soon as the faceless was off the streets and we were on their radar. But it's incredibly hard to flush out a fox once it's already in the hen–and of course wearing several dozen different faces of the chickens.

I smirked and dropped a nod with a fist on my chest as a dozen heavily armed Division agents barely glanced at me. I swiped a holo pad off the desk behind a distracted tech and swiped through the floors.

There you are.

The holo was back on the table before the man turned back around. The lift doors opened to my new retina and I rolled my shoulders once as they closed before my face.

Flashes. Levels passing. The low blue floor lights glowed over the face that wasn't mine.

I touched my jaw and rotated the circle three times.

Then I stared at the glass and Scorpion stared back. I smirked with her lips. Looked at her golden eyes and the doors opened before before. The soldiers at the cell floor became rigid and snapped into salutes before me.

"Get out." I said in a bored tone.

They didn't hesitate. They rushed past me and assembled in the lift I had just removed myself from. Then the doors slid shut and the highly secure hallway was silent. I trailed Scorpion's hand along the metal wall appreciating the new details the faceless had made... Like scars and tattoos that would hold up under scrutiny.

I pressed my palm against the door and swung my face into view.

It flashed green and the doors made a series of mechanical sounds before opening with too much theatrics for my taste. I snorted in the threshold.

"She really has treated you well hasn't she..." I drawled, leaning against the five inch thick steel.

A hunched figure didn't move from the wall.

I clearly my throat and knocked on the wall more deliberately.

"Fuck offt..." She slurred beneath a mess of dark hair and shattered glass beneath her bare feet. The blood was dried and the smell was potent.

I growled under my breath and pushed off the wall quickly.

"I don't have time for this."

I closed the steps across the cell quickly and made to grab her from the floor. But the second I did she bolted to the side and unearthed a hidden shiv made of broken glass and cloth–but I wasn't born so close to yesterday either.

I stopped her hand dead, as quick as the death she promised.

The confinement had made her weak... Or perhaps she always had been. Her brother was the epitome of human strength. Her eyes flashed with a deeper hatred than I gave her credit for–

"Came to gloat?" She spat, trying and failing to rip her weapon free.

I watched her calmly back.

"Are you done?"

"Get your fucking–hands off me you ugly cun–"

I dropped the face away with my free hand and enjoyed the way her face drained of colour entirely. The weapon left her fingers and shattered on the floor. I relaxed my hold and rolled my eyes.

"I thought you were the brains of your family."

"Who the fuck–are you exactly?" She demanded.