CHAPTER XLIX

M A K A Y L A

I ignored Artella's orders and drifted away from the Crypt in the streets of 48. I had enough of men commanding my movements for one lifetime.

I tied my hair higher over my head and let the fusion pistols gleam off my hips. I caught my reflection in the sleek metal of shop doors or window panes that weren't covered in dirt. Blood ran down my cheek and smeared my neck. My eyes seemed darker with the black eyeliner and the hood that I pulled over my head.

The image couldn't be more stark. If I had run into myself as the Emperor's daughter I would have had the same reaction I had to Scorpion–

I shook myself away from the thought as quickly as I could. If I saw those eyes I saw another set. And if I saw that I saw more... Too much.

The air smelled thickly of night vendors selling smoked meat and other illegal substances as I walked. Half were on the Division's pay roll and recognised the streak of red on my combat skin. The rest eyed me briefly and with little interest. I was another survivor in an outer sector now. The thought should have pleased me.

I wasn't sure of my direction I only knew that distance and time might put some of me back together again. These streets were nothing if not a good place to lose yourself.

Yet why did the distance from her have to hurt with each step? Each dragging second?

I couldn't even find it in me to face her like this. I'd sooner face the most brutal fighters in Merridian than have that conversation. Let myself be open and honest again when so much had been dishonest and broken in the last few days. All I could see was that knowing smile and the sharp look in the eyes of a politician that played a game with a smile and a dagger.

The more I turned it over in my mind the more I wanted the same thing.

Justice. Revenge. A point being made clearly.

That wasn't what I did... I wasn't Scorpion. I didn't exact my power on people that had done wrong by me–but maybe I could.

I stopped by a wide fountain made of scrap metal and strange sculptures. The water glowed back lit with blue lights. I played with a blade between my fingers as I stared at the rushing jets of water. I vaguely knew the sun would rise soon. But sleep wasn't what demanded my thoughts.

It was the thought of how smugly the Empress was sitting on her throne while the relationship Scorpion and I had strained against the gravity of her actions. It wasn't painful because I knew she would attempt it–it was painful because Alex let it.

I sighed into the bubble of the water and watched the reflection of the metal in my hands.

Don't do it. Going after her will do nothing but ensure the war she wants so desperately. Unless that isn't what she wants at all. Maybe she just knows it will break our ties to each other completely if I do it. It will allow the power union to be made all the more easily. I snorted at myself growing more incredulous I even considered it at all.

"Was the joke that good?" A female voice asked the other side of the fountain.

I flinched and tilted my head seeing the distorted shape of her through the water. Then I sheathed the blade and set my hands against the metal rim.

"Not particularly." I answered, unconcerned with engaging further.

The shape through the water said nothing at that. It was then that a thin stream of dawn light broke through the skyscrapers and hit the water sharply bouncing it across the jets. I stared like it was a strange turn of a dream. Not much seemed real these days.