CHAPTER XXII

S C O R P I O N

The holo-desks of Sector weapon systems melted away. I turned from the room of techies and concealed my face under a crimson hood. Though none would mistake me for another.

She was in the same room as that president's son and I was allowing it. For how long was entirely up to his actions. One more mistake would be his last–that much I was clear on.

The doors opened to me as I strode into another glass hallway passing guards. My thoughts should be on a counter attack. A next phase strategy against the rebels, yet all I could think of were his lips on hers. His life was already worthless to me, but he remained Makayla's companion...

I flicked a throwing knife between my knuckles as I walked. Division members rushed out of my path entirely or pressed fists to chests.

By the time I emerged onto our personal floor she was already lounging on the large L-sofa. I paused on the threshold of the doors before moving silently to stand before her. She took a long drink of what I considered was Junak... Though many liquids could hold that blue glow–

"Scorpion." She drawled over the rim.

"Xavier." I returned cooly, taking my time to stand before her with my hand still spinning a knife.

"I think I should just say it..."

I paused my blade and appraised her more intently. The pile of blonde hair running down one shoulder, the tightly fitted weapons on her hips and legs, the streak of red running over her arm–

"I'm listening." I murmured, not breathing.

"Velron Archeon would like to join the Division." She deadpanned.

I took a moment to check the punch line. There was none. Though it would never be an amusing joke in the first place.

"Excuse me?" I asked low, checking my knife into its sheath for good measure. Makayla scanned my hands and then my torso a moment. Before those sky blue eyes found mine and made my pulse beat faster. 

"You heard me."

"That does not mean I understand the meaning." I uttered, moving quickly to close the space between us. Her expression remained calm despite my burning anger below it. I dropped a foot between the space in her legs and levelled her own with a darker look.

"I don't train tourists."

"You trained me." She shot back.

I gave her a quick smirk, "You are the exception. I don't care for spares."

She lost her cool calm and it morphed to that of anxiety. To a look that compromised my leadership.

"They'll kill him in Sector 1 now, Alex."

"My people can do worse." I murmured, without the usual venom to back up the threat.

She saw past it regardless and slipped a hand behind my neck. Our eyes traced each other a moment. That warmth of hers ran along my skin and I grit my teeth.

"Then do what you have to. But he is my last friend from that life." She finished, letting her hand slip away from me and relaxing back into the sofa in resignation. I puffed out a breath through my nose. 

"You keep sparing your enemies and they will come back to bite you, Makayla." I told her, before leaning back. It only made her stand from the chair in a swift move and level my face inches away.