CHAPTER XLIII

S C O R P I O N 

I took point marching my personal guard and the Empress to the doors of Kuzo's. His first night club. His beginning in Sector 48 and his ending. My body was ready for it. The serum sang in my veins. A potent combat enhancer our people had developed for situations like this. A perfect answer to what would have otherwise compromised me.

I didn't have space for emotions to cloud my judgement. I had an opportunity to secure the most successful partnership in Merridian and remove an enemy all in one go. As I had let it wash over me last night I had removed the feelings by this morning.

My gaze was sharp on the doors not yet lined by bouncers for the night ahead. He would not get a night ahead.

I dropped a nod and my guard rushed to the sides. The Empress was a firm presence at my side. It was surprising to see someone from such a background take to the streets with her men. More still to see the calm over her face as she watched thermal charges line the doors.

Makayla was somewhere close to Artella behind but I couldn't think on her now. I didn't need to think about her hurt. My blood sang with the rush and power for the mission ahead. I dropped a nod and the charge fused brightly before the doors exploded inwards. Crypto grenades flew in soon after and the space beyond was stark white for whoever was left.

They didn't draw weapons. They didn't scream but I did not trust them for a moment.

I swept in behind my guard as they trained weapons on the scantily dressed women behind the bars and on chairs.

"Hold the room." I murmured in comms as I walked past and eyed the dark furniture and bright lights. The cavernous room was mostly empty save for his trained girls. I stopped before one who watched me back impassively. Leant against the bar in nothing to her name but corset and black lace.

"Did you need something, Scorpion?" She uttered suggestively immune to the trained guns and blown out doors. Her dark coated eyes played a different game.

"Where is he?" I asked slowly.

She pouted and put a hand on my chest running it down. I answered it with a blade against her throat. She stilled and finally decided to look uncomfortable. She was aware Scorpion did not bluff.

"I think you'd enjoy me more..." She whispered, daring to move her dark lips closer to my ear.

I kept the metal hard against her skin and drew a drop of blood.

"Last chance." I stated without emotion.

Something hit my stomach and she collapsed against me as the shot rang out. I stared at her lifeless eyes as she dropped to the floor and then at the blade that was stuck in my Vanguard.

"Don't touch it." I barked, staring at the faint edge of black. "It's poison."

Artella moved to yank Makayla back before Proximo strode forward lowering his rifle. He stared at it a moment as I ripped it out with a gloved hand and threw it on her corpse.

"They have Vanta fish venom." He growled.

"Looks like Kuzo isn't the only traitor tonight." I answered in a bored tone.

My arms dealer had taken a step too far. Xafra could wait his turn.

"Watch their hands." I spoke calmly in the comm as I stared at her body below me. "They are armed with a poison that can kill you in sixty seconds."

My guard hardly looked concerned. They looked damn right insulted.

I kicked her out of my path and strode onwards. "Line them all up and get me someone who knows where Kuzo is."