All-Star Apologies: Part 19 [Deadly Life]

"So, can I just ask?" Chihiro asked as he and Mukuro made their way downstairs "this "experiment" of yours doesn't happen to involve the boxes do they?"

Mukuro didn't reply.

"Ok, fine, you-you don't have to answer..." Chihiro stammered "it is kind of obvious after all...I mean, I don't see how anything clue wise could be down there other than that...I guess you think that the killer may have gotten the tape from the boxes, right?"

The black haired girl still said nothing.

"Ok, are you going to talk to me at all while we're doing this?" Chihiro asked "there really wasn't much point bringing me if you're not going to explain what you're doing..."

"If I want to..." she said "I don't feel like saying anything to any of you..."

"But you'll need to talk to us if you want to survive the class trial," Chihiro said firmly "you DO want to survive, don't you?"

"I..." Mukuro sighed "I don't care what happens to me. Whatever happens, I couldn't care less..."

"Mukuro..." Chihiro grit his teeth.

"I wouldn't try any sort of conversing with this sociopath," Byakuya suddenly appeared as the pair arrived at the dorms "she doesn't feel anything except despair and misery when others are dying at her hand."

"Sounds like you'll get along..." Chihiro sighed. Byakuya gave Chihiro a spiteful glare as he said this, but did not act upon the insult. Instead, he turned his back and faced the boxes which were all still lines up on the wall."

"Give me one second..." Mukuro brushed past him and headed towards the boxes, taking a piece of paper and a pen out of her pocket.

"So I take it you had the same idea Byakuya?" Chihiro asked.

"Indeed," he said "even if the killer crushed Taeko with a piano, they clearly needed some equipment to do that. Since most of the storage facilities are shut off, the boxes are likely the only place they could go to get any sort of equipment."

"I would imagine that if we knew who used the boxes and when, we could limit our suspect pool a little more..." Chihiro thought aloud.

"Hm...I suppose I can help with that..." Byakuya considered.

"What do you mean?" Chihiro asked "do you already know?"

"Not exactly...But I intend to find out," Byakuya explained "to be honest, as the investigation started, I summoned Monokuma and asked him about it."

"And what did he say?" Chihiro asked.

"Well, to be frank, he decided it was a good time to be difficult about it," Byakuya snarled "he told me that when I said I had a question, he said he'd only give me one answer. So when I asked him who used the boxes and how many times, he said that was one question with several answers, which meant it didn't count. I swear, that bear bugs me like no one else I've ever met..."

"Yeah, I think we can agree on that," Chihiro thought "but why did you ask who used it and how many times?"

"Because of the rules Monokuma put in place about the box," Byakuya said "I don't fully remember them, since I never really intended to use the boxes myself, but I recall one of them being that we have a maximum amount of three requests. I wanted to know if before today, anyone had run out of requests."

🔫TheBoxes added to the Truth Bullets🔫

"So...you didn't use the boxes?" Chihiro asked.

"No," Byakuya sneered "what about you? Did you use them?"

"I did. Twice, but both were before today," Chihiro explained "I'm not lying."

"And what did you use it for?" Byakuya narrowed his eyes suspiciously.

"A spare laptop and USB," Chihiro said "I wanted a different laptop to program on so Alter Ego had the files on the other one to themselves."

"Fair enough..." Byakuya sounded almost disappointed "back to the topic at hand, I changed my question. I had figured that I could easily goat an answer of how many times each person used the boxes if I just asked, and if anyone lied, I could expose them at the trial. I therefore asked him if Taeko had used the boxes, and if so, why."

"Ah, good idea!" Chihiro exclaimed "and what did he say?"

"He said that she hadn't used the boxes before her death. Not even once." Byakuya explained "I don't know if I should take that as honest or not, but Monokuma has yet to lie to us...So I see no reason to disbelieve him...Not that I'm happy about that..."

🔫Who used the boxes added to the Truth Bullets🔫

"Is that everything?" Byakuya asked "can I get back to my investigation of this area?"

"Just let Mukuro get whatever she's getting from the boxes and we'll be off," Chihiro said "although, I do have one question."

"Make it quick..." Byakuya grumbled.

"I'm assuming you read the Monokuma File. What's your take on the time of death?" Chihiro asked.

"Well, it's like we were all saying when we read it," Byakuya sighed "it's very specific. So specific that I briefly went around to each group and tried to collect alibis for that specific time zone."

"Really?" Chihiro asked "you haven't asked me yet..."

"You're the last person that I need to ask. Ikusaba too, but Makoto provided an account for her...unfortunately..." he said "I'm still convinced that it's her, and that we're missing something, but for clarities sake, what were you doing at the time that Taeko was killed?"

"I was..." Chihiro thought back and felt a sick feeling form in his stomach "I was alone...I was procrastinating in the Laundry Room by myself...S-Sorry, I know that's not much of an alibi..."

"It's alright I suppose..." Byakuya mumbled "I was alone also..."

"So, have you got enough information to note who's suspicious?" Chihiro asked.

"I need time to piece it together, but this is what I've gathered so far," Byakuya began to explain "Taeko was killed at 10:46. During the time of the murder, everyone was in different places. Kyoko, Mondo and Taka were the first three to find the body, meeting each other on the fourth floor 8 minutes prior to the time of death. You were "procrastinating" by yourself in the Laundry Room the entire time..."

"Oh! Wait!" Chihiro cut in "I just remembered. I know it's not much of an account, but Makoto and Mukuro walked in when the body discovery announcement went off!"

"Kindly don't cut in when I'm talking? Thank you..." Byakuya spat "fine, so Makoto and Mukuro found you when the announcement went off, but the two of them met with each other at 10:36, and spent the entire time with each other. Before that, Makoto stated that he was in the Bio lab, and Mukuro was in the Art Room. Last of all, I remained by himself the whole time in the rec room...I left when I heard the announcement."

🔫Everyone's alibis added to the Truth Bullets🔫

"Hey. I got what I needed. Let's go." Mukuro suddenly came up to the pair of them.

"Oh, good, you're done," Chihiro suddenly noticed what she was holding "what's...that?"

"It's tape," she said bluntly "the same kind that was in the Music Room. I need this for my experiment.

"Before you go Ikusaba," Byakuya stopped her "is it true that you were with Makoto 10 minutes prior to the body discovery announcement?"

"Will you still suspect me despite that?" she asked.

"Oh, you have no idea..." he leered "just answer my damn question woman..."

"Yes...I was with Makoto..." Mukuro snarled "come on. Let's go."

"Ah, hey, wait! Mukuro!" Chihiro called after her "ngh...sorry Byakuya. See you at the trial."

"Yes, you shall see me when that time comes..." Byakuya gave an apathetic wave as Chihiro chased after the mercenary in black.