Chapter 54

-Caleb-

The next morning, I woke up alone in bed. I stretched and listened but didn't hear the shower. I took my time showering and picking up our discarded clothes from where we came inside last night.

I crept down the stairs and listened trying to figure out where everyone was. I heard Mallory's soft voice in the den talking to my dad. I grinned to myself thinking about how her rambling use to annoy me and now I can't help but love to hear it. I quietly walked over to the door and watched my dad and Mallory chat while working on a puzzle. My dad use to love doing puzzles with my sister. I smiled watching them. "Oh I found one!" Mallory stated putting the piece in. My dad laughed softly 'Caleb and his mother have no patience for puzzles. Cassie use to be my puzzle helper' Mallory smiled "I like puzzles, my parents use to always keep one on our coffee table and work on it" my dad continued to work at the puzzle but I could see him contemplating saying something so I crept away before I was noticed.
I walked into the kitchen to see my mom finishing up the last of the dishes from last night. I kissed the side of her head and grabbed a coffee cup. "Did you have fun?" I smiled 'yeah I did. The party was great.' My mom raised her eyebrows and looked at me. 'What?!' She scoffed and swung the dish towel at me. "Sneaking out of the house after the party and then sneaking back in??" I almost spit my coffee all over the kitchen counter. 'MOTHER!' She laughed and threw the towel in my face. "What? Caleb. Honestly your an adult. You've been married, and your engaged. You expect me to think you don't have sex" I knew my ears were red and I was spluttering. 'Not exactly an early morning kinda conversation with your mother' my mother laughed loudly and swatted me with her dish towel once again. "So you did have fun sneaking out of the house to have sex?" I face palmed and couldn't help to grin from behind my hand. 'Mallory's dress was beautiful. Thank you. She never would have bought that for herself.' I tried changing the subject. "Your welcome" she let the matter die but the goofy look remained on her face. I shook my head and walked over to the bar and sat down. My mom turned to face me after she checked on the cinnamon rolls that were in the oven, she had a serious look on her face that made me swallow hard. "Whatever you do.. don't let that girl go. She lights up your world Caleb, I can see it. Your father can and anyone that was at the party last night can see it." I nodded and took a sip of my coffee, and whispered my response. 'I know mama. I don't know if I could make it if we didn't work out' my mom walked over and hugged me and patted my chest. "That's how you know she's the one my child" I nodded and kissed my moms cheek. My mom nodded and walked back to the stove as my dad and Mallory walked into the kitchen. Mallory walked over to me and leaned into me taking my coffee off the counter and taking a sip. Her eyes went wide and she licked her lips. I laughed. "Maple syrup. My moms coffee specialty" I pushed my mug over to Mallory and smiled. I slid my arm around Mallory's back tucked my finger tips in her pocket and traced her engagement ring with my other hand.
My dad smiled at us knowingly and poured himself some coffee. 'Mallory, is your family religious?' Mallory smiled and shook her head. "No not really, they believe in God but we aren't avid church goers." My dad nodded 'I was just wondering if it would be a church wedding' Mallory's ears turned a little pink but she looked at my dad and then back to me. "Well, I've never dreamed of a church wedding.. or even a very large wedding." My dad nodded and looked at Mallory like he knew she had more to say. "Actually, I'm not sure how Caleb feels about it... and we would have to talk to Tim but.. I was actually thinking we could get married by the pond.. in the pasture behind -our property" I finished her sentence for her and my breath hitched as she nodded. "It would have to be a spring or summer wedding so that everything would be green and pretty but.." I nodded and squeezed her side. 'I think it would be a great place' I kissed Mallory's cheek and my mom and dad smiled watching us.
"Well It sounds amazing to me!" My mom said and grinned.

——————————————————————————————————

I'm sorry that it's a little shorter! I've been doing some changing in my life and haven't had the time to put the time I should into my stories!
Thank you so much to everyone invested in my story!