Chapter 34

🌻🌻 I would have sworn I made note of this somewhere but I looked back and I couldn't find it so I'll just add it here. This story is all my work the characters belong to Heartland but the story plot is mine. Also Georgie is 15 at the beginning of the story and Katie is 6🌻🌻

-Caleb-

I scrubbed and washed off quickly turning and giving Mallory a lingering kiss "take your time and relax I'll go start chores" I got a quick nod from Mallory before heading out of the bathroom.
I toweled off and slipped on my clothes, I pulled my boots on and headed down the stairs. When I rounded the corner to the grain bins I came face to face with Badger I said 'Hey!' A little louder than necessary out of surprise and Badger laughed. "I'm sorry, I know what you said but it was so early I thought I could help with evening chores... I dumped grain" I laughed my embarrassment away from him scaring me and I reached for the pitchforks. 'Sounds good if you want to fill waters and such I'll start cleaning stalls' Badger nodded and I set off to cleaning stalls.
I had cleaned four stalls working on the fifth when a pad of hay hit me and a giggle could be heard. I looked above me and saw Mallory innocently shrugging while holding another pad.
"It's a good thing it's you because I thought Badger did that." Mallory smirked evilly and continued to chuck hay down for everyone. When she finally climbed down the ladder I was cleaning dragons stall and she walked over to help me. Mallory stepped in the stall and helped me scoop the soiled bedding out and scratched dragons head lovingly.
I smiled and walked out of the stall followed by Mallory, Badger walked out of Sugarfoots stall and nodded his head signaling that we were done.

Caleb took the pitchforks to put them away and Badger grabbed the wheelbarrow to dump it on the manure pile so I was just standing there with nothing to do. My phone dinged in my pocket so I pulled it out to check it.

Amy: How are things with you and Caleb? ;)

Mallory: Good, great actually.

My face flushed remembering what had just happened upstairs not too long ago.

Amy: Val and Ashley are at the show today watching two Briar Ridge riders...

I felt the familiar feeling of dread settling in my stomach as I typed my reply.

Mallory: did they have a lot to say... they happened upon Caleb and I by the pond this morning..

Amy didn't respond immediately so I tucked my phone away and headed to the outside of the barn where Badger and Caleb were talking about Badgers weekend with Scott.
My phone finally chimed so I pulled it out to see the bad news. 

Amy: actually not terrible. Ashley did make a remark about monitoring your employees but nothing direct.

Mallory: she might be too embarrassed to say anything. It was kind of ugly. I'll explain next time we talk.
Good luck!! 😊

I sighed in relief and put my phone in my jacket pocket and looked up at Caleb.
Caleb smiled at me while Badger was talking about his weekend.
Tuesday passed in about the same way the three of us went for a ride and then we did chores and were just finishing up feeding when Lou and Peters SUV pulled up to the house.

The back door flung open and Georgie spilled out running to the barn. Georgie tackled Me and almost knocked me over laughing, when Georgie realized Badger was there she stood up straight and straightened her clothes blushing lightly. Mallory nudged Georgies elbow and quirked her eyebrows at her and Georgie silently shrugged. As Peter and Lou walked up holding Katie's hand, I seemed to be the only one that watched the silent conversation between Mallory and Georgie. I shrugged it off putting my arm around Mallory and listening to Georgie and Katie tell about all the things they went and did over the weekend.
Georgie was sort of Restless and in turn was making Mallory Anxious. I looked at the clock and realized that there was still around three hours of Daylight left.
"Hey Mallory.. why don't you and Georgie go for a ride? You can take Dragon and" 'Georgie can take copper' Mallory finished my sentence. I nodded and they headed off to get the horses ready and I turned to Peter and Lou while picking up Katie and putting her on my shoulders. "How about Steaks and potato's and Salad for dinner?" We all agreed and Peter said that he would run to the store and grab what we needed and Badger asked to go with him and pick up a few things for the camper asking if Peter could drop him off there on the way back by. Peter agreed and they were off.
Lou and I walked to the house with Katie still on my shoulders. Once we got to the porch I sat Katie down and opened the door for them to walk through and followed them in kicking my boots off.
"Thanks for suggesting they go for a ride, Georgie's nervous energy was driving me crazy" I chuckled and helped Katie pull her shoes off. 'Yeah well she had been here for five minutes and Mallory was squirming' Lou laughed and headed to the kitchen. "Would you light the grill so it will be ready when Peter gets back?"
'Yup!' Pulling my boots back on I walked around the porch to the back of the house where the grill was. Looking up I smiled watching Mallory and Georgie riding off. I heard little feet and turned around to see Katie running up to me with her shoes in her hands. I sat down in the porch chair and scooped Katie up into my lap and helped her put her shoes on, but instead of  getting up she laid back and turned on her side snuggling up to me. I smiled and couldn't help but think of a future. A future with a pretty little blond girl curled up on my lap with Mallory's eyes.