Chapter 32

-Caleb-

I was practically squirming with excitement when we pulled into the ranch yard. "Mal would you go make us some sandwiches and grab some bottled water and I'll saddle the horses? We'll go for a picnic ride" Mallory excitedly jumped out of the truck and ran to the house. I chuckled watching her go. It was sort of exciting the weather being decent enough to actually enjoy being outside.
I slipped the halter on dragon and quickly took her into the barn, I brushed her quickly and put teal colored pad on her back and threw my newer roping saddle in her (Mallory thinks I don't know but I know she borrows it, even when she rides copper) I tightened the girth and made sure the stirrups were short.
I grabbed ghost out of his stall and brushed him quickly and tossed my equipment up on him and snugged up my girth. I went into the rack room and grabbed two bridles, The bridle ghost always uses and then I grabbed Mallory's bridle that she bought so she had something of her own. I also grabbed a set of saddle bags and I tied them on ghost, I slipped the bridles on the horses and stepped up onto ghost and headed towards the house ponying dragon.
Mallory came rushing out of the house with her arms full of picnic foods and I stepped down off of ghost to help her pack them into my saddle bags. Mallory was so busy focusing on lunch and rambling that she still hadn't noticed I didn't bring her copper. I handed her dragons bridle rein and I stepped around in front of ghost watching her. Mallory straightened her reins, tightened her cinch and pulled dragons head around to step up on her before she realized it wasn't copper. "This isn't copper...?" I laughed 'No ma'am it's not' Mallory stepped to the front of the horse with her mouth open and scratched her pretty little head 'this is Josh's horse.... dragon' "well, yes she was" I cleared my throat "she's yours now. Completely 100% all yours" Mallory's face was blank and I couldn't tell what she was thinking.
'Caleb... I can't... what do I even owe you? I can make payments for.. well as long as it takes' I shook my head and Mallory started to protest. "Mallory, I love you. I want to do nice things for you." 'But Caleb this is a big gift..' I nodded "maybe it is, but it's a gift that I want to give you" I reached into my coat pocket and pulled out dragons registration papers and handed them to Mallory "there's a signed transfer in there, all you have to do is put your name on the paperwork. Go put those inside and we'll go for a ride." Mallory handed me the rein to dragon and she slowly walked into the house. I was a little worried about her reaction and I was thinking about then when I heard the house door slam and the next thing I knew Mallory had flung herself into my arms and I staggered backwards gripping her tightly with her legs wrapped around me. 'Thank you, thank you, thank you, I've never had someone do something so amazing for me.' I smiled and I kissed her and then I sat her back in her own two feet. "Go get on your horse" I gently pushed her towards dragon and smacked her butt on the way by.

We trotted and loped through the fields enjoying the nice day and I was enjoying Mallory's excitement of riding her own pony. When we got to the clear pond we stopped and decided to eat out lunch. I untied the saddle bags and handed them to Mallory and I grabbed dragons reins from her and took the horses and tied them to the tree. When I came back Mallory had our lunch set out and I sat down beside her with one knee behind her back and the other folded up under me. Mallory turned to face me and leaned over to kiss me. I kissed Mallory back and tangled my hands in her silky blond hair. I tugged her hair free of her hair tie and I smiled at my success. We broke apart and I grabbed for our sandwiches and handed Mallory one.
We ate in silence just watching the breeze cause ripples on the water. The horses stood relaxed tied to the tree and Mallory shifted around so that she was between my legs and leaning back against my chest. I leaned back against the bank of the pond and pulled Mallory back with me. I closed my eyes and was just laying there soaking in the sun absentmindedly rubbing Mallory's shoulders and Mallory's hands resting on my knees.
I don't know how long we laid there like that when a whinny pulled us out of our peaceful bliss. We sat up and looked around. I followed where ghost and dragon were looking and I noticed two riders. They appeared to be English riders coming from briar ridge, or the Stauntons.
We allowed the Briar Ridge riders to ride into this tract by the pond for their trail rides so it wasn't like they were doing anything wrong but I was annoyed that they were ruining our afternoon.