Chaper 45

-Caleb-

We hung out in the barn for a while and picked up and tidied things up when Mallory's phone rang. 'It's Soraya' she mouthed to me and I nodded. 'Hold on a second let me see' she pressed the phone against her shoulder and turned to me. 'Is it okay if I go with Soraya to the movies and we catch up?' I bit my tongue and nodded my head "have her pick you up in 30 minutes." Mallory finished her conversation and then hung up the phone and turned to go upstairs and change but I grabbed her arm pulling her back around to me. "You don't have to ask me to go hang out with your friends. Unless it's Jake" Mallory cracked a smile and hugged me. 'I know but we're a team. You jump, I jump Jack' I threw my head back laughing. "You've got to stop watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix" Mallory shrugged and kissed me before running up the stairs to change.
Soraya pulled into the yard just as I was throwing some stuff into my truck. "Soraya, how are you?" She nodded at me and smiled 'I'm good. It's nice that the weather is bearable for now' I nodded and heard Mallory coming down the stairs. She walked over to us and greeted Soraya.
I smiled and pulled Mallory to me "you girls have fun" I leaned down and kissed Mallory. "Love you" Mallory stuck her tongue out at me and smiled 'love you too' I shook my head and walked up the loft stairs as they got into the car.

Once I knew they were good and gone I headed downstairs, leaving a note on the chalkboard for Georgie and Badger and then got in my truck and left. I drove over to where Tim's cattle were and sighed when I saw Tim standing at the gate. I parked and got out of my truck and walked up to him. I stuck my hand out for Tim to shake and he did. 'Caleb' I nodded and leaned up against the gate with Tim.
'What can I do for you? I know better than to think this was a social call.' I nodded and took a deep breath. "I wanted to talk to you about the six acres at the front of this property. It's not fenced and it's got so many trees on it I don't see the reason to fence it for pasture land, I was hoping you'd consider selling it to me." Tim stood up straighter and looked me up and down. "What do you want with six acres Caleb?" 'To build a house, start a life' "I thought you wanted out of Hudson" I shrugged and scuffed my feet on the ground. 'I just wanted to be somewhere that I felt I belong.' "And suddenly thats here?" I smiled and turned to Tim 'I suppose being in love with someone makes you do things like this.' Tim studied me "your serious" I nodded and couldn't wipe the grin off of my face. "Well who's the lucky person? Or should I say cursed?" I gave Tim a flat look and turned back towards the cattle. 'Mallory' Tim turned to me with shock written all over his face. He didn't say anything which I was thankful for. A little while later Tim turned to me and stuck his hand out. 'The land is yours if you want it as long as you care for my cattle when I'm away.' I nodded and shook his hand. I'll go in and get some paperwork drawn up for us and give you a call when it's ready. I thanked Tim and turned to walk back to my truck. 'I'll sell it to you what I bought it for, Pennies on the Dollar' I turned to Tim and studied him. 'I haven't done right by a lot of people in my life Caleb, to see someone rodeoing and making a go of it the honest way does me good. I also appreciate how much help you've been to my girls and Jack' I nodded and stepped forward shaking his hand, a new appreciation for Tim growing on me.

-Mallory-

We chatted and gossiped on our way into Hudson until we parked in the movie theatre parking lot. "I can't take it anymore Mallory, He LOVES you?!" I tilted my head back and laughed. 'Yeah he does, he proves it everyday' Soraya squirmed and yelled all excited. "I'm so happy for you!"

After the movie was over and we safely made it back to Soraya's car I pulled out my phone to see two text messages.

Amy: Hey Mallory, if I mail you Katie's birthday present from me and Ty could you wrap it up for me?
Me: yep! Be glad to. Good luck!

Caleb 😍: Hey babe, call me when your out of the movie, I had to go into Hudson. If I'm still in town it will save Soraya a trip out to the ranch.
Love you

I smiled and showed Soraya the text and she made a motion for me to call Caleb. I smiled at her and punched his contact. Caleb picked up in less than two rings.

Caleb: Hey babe
Me: hi, you said to call?
Caleb: yeah I'm just leaving the bank are you ready?
Me: Yeah we're headed to Maggie's now, Can you meet us there?
Caleb: yep, see you soon. Love you
Me: love you too

We pulled into Maggie's and Caleb was already sitting at the bar chatting with Annabelle, the younger girl that replaced me when I quit. I walked up next to Caleb and rested my chin on his shoulder. Caleb turned his head towards me and kissed my cheek. "Hey Baby" I smiled and squeezed my arms around him.

'Okay, okay Mallory take your food and go home with him before you make me gag' Soraya said not containing the glint in her eye as she looked at us. I winked at Soraya and Annabelle sat our orders in front of us. Soraya pulled her card out to pay but Annabelle shook her head "Caleb caught the bill for all three of you" Soraya turned to Caleb with her jaw on the floor. 'What? I can be nice' Caleb said with a smirk as he stood up and grabbed our dinner. 'Thanks Annabelle and your welcome Soraya' Caleb said placing his hat on his head and walking towards the door. I chuckled and hugged Soraya waving bye to Annabelle following Caleb our to the truck.

-Caleb-

We got in the truck and I reached over the center console for Mallory's hand and intertwined our fingers. Mallory turned to look at me "what's got you all giddy?" I smiled at her and fought the urge to spill the beans about my big purchase I made this afternoon. I just smiled and brushed her off 'just happy that's all' Mallory didn't look convinced but didn't ask any more questions. We pulled back into the ranch yard and Mallory started to get out of the truck but I grabbed her hand and asked her to stay where she was and I'd be right back. I ran up to the loft and grabbed the ring from her mom and one I had made out of my hiding spot and bounced back down the stairs checking on the chalkboard.
Badger and Georgie had found my note and did all of the chores and now they were watching a movie in the house.
I hopped back in the truck to see a confused Mallory.
"Don't worry, you'll find out before too long." I squeezed her hand and backed out of the yard.