Chapter 20

-Caleb-

When we finally got back to heartland after filling the Hay Cart and going to the diner, where I might add we got loads of strange looks, we were just finishing up chores when I had an idea.

"Hey Mallory, did you have any plans tonight?"

Her and Badger stopped sweeping to look up at me and she shook her head.

"Want to go out to the bar? To go dancing, I know your not old enough to drink"

I winked at her. She chuckled lightly but agreed.

"Badger? You want to come with us?"

He thought for a few moments but finally smiled and nodded yes. I smiled and finished cleaning the tack room while they finished sweeping. When we were done Mallory went inside and Badger took the bike and headed to the camper and I went up the stairs to my apartment.
I showered and got out chuckling when I realized that the only clean boxers I had were Superman I rolled my eyes but continued slipping on a new clean pair of jeans and then walked over to the closet yanking on a white T-Shirt and grabbed a light green shirt buttoning it up and tucking it in. Sliding a nice pair of boots on my feet and stuffing my hat on my head, I grabbed my belt walking to the house hoping that my Carhartt was hanging on the coat rack in the house. When I busted in the house freezing Mallory stuck her head out of the Hall bathroom smiling at me. I grinned and walked down the hallway as I put my belt on surprised to find that she was only wearing a towel but that she had her hair half up/half down and it was curled she also had makeup on. I smiled at her in the mirror and leaned on the door way as I watched her apply the last little bit of mascara. She turned to face me making sure everything was unplugged and kissed my cheek as she brushed past me going to her room.
I took a deep breath of air and sat in the chair in the living room. After a while Mallory emerged from the hallway wearing Dark Jeans and a deep red long sleeve shirt but the only thing covering her shoulders was lace.
I swallowed hard as I took in her appearance.

"You look beautiful"

was all I said. She smiles effortlessly and came to me giving me a kiss before she backed away and turned for the door swaying her hips as she went. I chuckled deep in my throat and followed her to the door grabbing my coat as she pulled on a nice pair of boots and then I held up her leather jacket for her as she slid her arms in. I put my arm around her as we walked down the walk way to my truck, she stopped me and turned me towards her before we went out separate ways to our sides.

"Thank you"

was all she said and then she must have noticed my confusion because she elaborated.

"Thank you, for choosing to like me, for being nice to Badger, and for not wanting to keep us a secret"

I smiled widely and bent down to kiss her.

"Your welcome, but none of those things do you need to thank me for."

She smiles and continued her way to the passenger seat, I started my truck and headed out of the driveway to pick up Badger.

-Mallory-

As we drove down the bumpy road to the camper Caleb reached across the middle armrest to lay his hand on my leg. I smiled at him as he came to a stop in front of Badgers Camper and he came out of the door, I looked between the two guys and suddenly couldn't remember why I was ever attracted to Badger. I squeezed Caleb's hand that was in my lap as Badger got in the backseat. When we got to the end of the bumpy gravel road Caleb took his hand off of my lap so he could shift gears easily but the smile refused to leave my face.

When we got to the bar I smiled, I had been in here many times before with the whole gang and Jake... my smile wobbled as I glanced at Caleb.

"What's wrong?"

I took a deep breath and looked down.

'What if.. Jake..'

I trailed off not knowing what to say and I knew Badger was confused.

"Hey it'll be okay, we can't stay hidden from him. If I'm lucky he'll give me a reason to finally hit him."

I smiled sadly and Badger looked confused.

We walked into the little pool hall bar and I smiled at the dark Smokey bar and Caleb grabbed my hand and we walked up to the bar.

"Hey Josh"

Caleb said to the bartender.

'O'dell'

the Bartender said with a wide smile. Caleb turned and pointed at me

"Josh this is my girlfriend Mallory, Mallory this is a friend of mine Josh, we use to Rodeo Together"

I smiled and waved.

"Could you stash our jackets back there?"

Josh nodded as Caleb shrugged out of his jacket and helped me take mine off.

"Thanks man, we'll be back by later"

was all Caleb said before he Grabbed my hand and headed to the dance floor.
Once we started to dance instead of keeping a good bit of space between us like I was use to dancing he grabbed my hand in his and wrapped his arm around the back of my shoulders keeping us close. It was easy to two step with Caleb letting him guide me around the dance floor. At the end of the third song he pulled me off of the dance floor to go get a drink. He ordered a whisky drink and a Coke.

"Thanks Josh"

he said tipping his hat at him while we turned to go to a table. I looked around the crowded bar and noticed Badger talking to a pretty red headed girl in the corner and smiled as Caleb handed me the whisky drink. I raised my eyebrows at him and he smiled.

"you don't have to drink it all but just try it."

-Caleb-

I smiled as her eyes widened and she licked her lips.

"That's pretty good"

I smiled and nodded. After we finished our drinks I pulled Mallory back to the dance floor just as a slow song was starting, just as I was wrapping my arms around her Jake asked to cut in.

"No thanks"

I could smell the alcohol on his breath. I continued to dance with Mallory when Jake grabbed my shoulder and yanked me towards him with one hand and punched me in the jaw with the other. I stumbled back and my eyes darkened, I lunged for Jake and punched him in the nose before Mallory grabbed my hand.

"He's not worth it"

I ground my teeth together but turned to follow her.

"Yeah walk off with your girlfriend"

I stiffened and glanced over my shoulder to see blood pouring out of his nose and mouth but kept walking, we met Badger at the door and silently we all got in my truck.