Chapter 12

-Caleb-

When Mallory and Lou and the girls finally came inside I had made myself comfortable in Mallory and I's chair in the living room by the fire. Everyone piled into the living room as Lou and Amy began putting the food out on the counter. I watched Mallory run across the living room to hang her coats on the hook before running down the hall and then reappearing a moment later with my Hoodie on, I smiled and motioned for her to come to me and to my pleasant surprise there was no hesitation, she trudged right over and sat in my lap pulling the blanket over the back across her legs. I smiled at her and placed my hands on her hips under the blanket, there were questioning looks as everyone filed in the living room but no one asked any questions. Mallory laid her head on my shoulder and I could feel her warm breath hitting my neck and I felt her body relax as she fell asleep on my lap. Ty walked up beside the chair and handed me a beer, I thanked him and took it.

'You guys are pretty good together, you know?'

I nodded my head taking a drink from my bottle.

"I'm going to tell Jack when he gets back, I think it's the right thing to do and maybe he will take it better if I tell him rather than just finding out."

Ty nodded and patted my shoulder

'I think that's a wise decision Caleb'

I looked over at Mallory and she was still peacefully asleep.

The next few days passed by quickly with Lou and Peter and the girls there. Finally I was standing at the airport waiting to collect Jack. I was pacing and nervous but I knew this was the right thing to do, hopefully he would understand and not run me off. I loved heartland and the people and I think I was beginning to love Mallory, but I didn't let my mind wonder to that just yet. I was so deep in thought I didn't see Jack until he clapped me on the shoulder.

"Hey Jack! How were the states?"

'They were okay. I always miss home when I'm away though'

I nodded and grabbed Jacks suitcase off of the conveyor. As we shuffled out to the parking lot, Jack must have sensed my unease.

' Caleb, is there something on your mind?'

I faltered and stopped walking.

"Well, you see, Jack, there's uh, there's something I wanted to tell you"

'well out with it Caleb'

"well, you see, I uh, I've started dating someone"

A surprised look crossed Jacks face and he opened his mouth and closed it before asking:

'well are you going to tell me who?'

"Here's the thing Jack, she's younger and I don't want you to blow a gasket or freak out okay?"

'Caleb when have I ever "freaked out" huh'

I thought about answering but then decided that wouldn't be the best for my case.

"I'm dating Mallory"

I gritted my teeth and looked down. Expecting some sort of reaction. When there was no yelling, I looked at Jack and he had his jaw set and was looking far away.

"Jack, I-I'm sorry. I didn't plan on this happening but it did and I really like her. I won't ever hurt her."

I rambled on until Jack stopped me.

'Caleb...'

I looked down playing with the handle on Jacks suitcase.

'All of you kids are like my own, as dear to me as Amy and Lou are.. I don't want any of you hurt. If this Mallory thing is what you both want, then I think you should do it. I don't want to loose any of my Family Caleb' 

I looked up to meet Jack's eyes and nod my head.

"I understand Jack, I promise I'll take good care of her. "

'I know you do, and will Caleb.'

I didn't have a chance to ask any questions before Jack took off towards the truck. I shrugged and ran to catch up with him loading his suitcase in the back and unlocking the doors.

I wasn't even out of the airport parking lot when I looked over and noticed Jack sleeping. I chuckled to myself and drove home in comfortable silence.