Chapter 39

-Caleb-

We walked out onto the porch and my mom hesitated. "Honey why don't you can Caleb go ahead, I think I'm going to see if Mallory wants to go with me into town. We can meet up in a while and trade?" I grinned at my mom and nodded and I stuck my head back in the house 'hey Mallory can you come out here?'
I heard a muffled reply and closed the door. A few moments later Mallory came out of the house pulling her vest on.
My mom spoke up before I could say anything "Mallory dear, do you want to come into town with me while the men catch up? We can meet later and Clay and I will go home and you can come back with Caleb." Mallory nodded and smiled. 'Sure just let me grab my wallet' I stopped Mallory and leaned down to kiss her "love you, see you in a while" 'love you too' she said grabbing for the house door to get her wallet.

-Mallory-

I ran to my room and then back to the door slipping my nikes on while yelling to Lou "going with Caleb's mom. Be back later" I walked out on the porch to see Caleb's mom had pulled their car up to the house and I ran down the steps and got in.

'So what is there to do in Hudson?'
"There are lots of shops downtown and some bakeries and diners and such"
Martha nodded and followed the directions of her GPS until we got to Hudson.

Martha parked along the road like everyone does and then we got out walking down the sidewalk. 'It's a cute little town'
"Oh it is, I can't imagine living anywhere else" Martha smiled at me and we continued walking down the street until we came to the 'twisted sisters boutique'
"Shall we go in here?" Martha asked and I nodded. We spent a while looking around in there when I found a cream colored lace dress with a turquoise slip material underneath making it not see through. I gasped looking at it. 'It's beautiful, I think you should buy it' I stepped back and looked at Mrs. Odell "oh no I couldn't"
'At least try It on dear. I insist' I hesitantly nodded my head and began to look through the sizes. I use to wear a size 8 before the whole not eating thing so I grabbed a size 6 and a size 8 not sure which I would need. I slipped into the dressing room and grabbed for the size 8 first. Holding my breath I slipped the dress on and amazingly it fit me perfectly. I almost wanted to cry. I composed myself and slowly slid the curtain to the dressing room open and walking out in the dress.
Martha gasped and walked over to me. "You look beautiful dear" 'thank you so much. The dress is very beautiful'
I smiled at her and walked back into the dressing room changing back into my clothes and looked at the dress and frowned. I carefully put it back on the hanger and walked out, headed to put the dress back when Martha stopped me. Mrs. Odell took the dress from my grasp and walked over to the counter and paid for it and had the lady put it in a box. I would have protested but I was so shocked by her actions I couldn't think straight. When she went to hand her credit card over I snapped out of it and rushed up to the counter. "Mrs. Odell! No I can't let you buy that!" She simply shushed me and paid for the dress handing me the box. We walked out of the store and I reached for my wallet to see how much cash I had to pay her back. I sighed. "I don't have any cash but we can go to the bank and get some and I'll pay you back"
'Nonsense, I bought you that dress because I wanted to' "but Mrs. Odell"
Martha turned to me and grasped me by my shoulders. 'It's Martha dear. Call me Martha for one. Secondly, you love my son and my son loves you. Thirdly, I don't have a daughter here with us anymore and you are the next closest that I will get in this life. I'll buy you the damn dress if I want to.' Tears pricked my eyes but I blinked them away and shifted the dress box to one arm so that I could give Martha a hug.
We parted from our hug and sniffed back our tears before continuing down the sidewalk and Martha hooked her arm through mine.
We were walking and chatting and I didn't realize that we were walking straight towards Val and Ashley until it was too late. I stopped abruptly realizing how this looked and what was about to happen. Val and Ashley came to a halt right in front of us and I swallowed hard.
Val was the first one to speak. "Mallory, how nice to see you out and about." And then she turned to Martha offering her a hand to shake and introduced herself and suddenly Ashley looked very uncomfortable. Martha spoke looking at Ashley bitterly. 'Nice to meet you I'm Martha Odell' Vals eyes widened and Ashley tensed visibly. "Oh, OH! Your Caleb's mother" Martha nodded and then turned to Ashley. 'Ashley, I see your doing well' Ashley locked her jaw and just nodded sourly. I thought we were going to get away without any rude comments or snarky remarks but I should have known better. "Martha nice to see you, sorry about the downgrade but then again I guess she fits in with your kind better" I gritted my teeth but before I could do or say anything Val grabbed Ashley's arm and yanked her across the street walking down the other side of the shops.
I rolled my eyes and turned to Martha who just look shocked and I pulled her down the sidewalk to the next shop which happened to be my favorite place in Hudson. We walked into the sweet little bakery and walked up to the counter. "I'll have a hot chocolate with whipped cream and a slice of coconut cream pie" I turned to Martha and saw her scanning the dessert case. 'Make that two of those' I smiled at her and pulled my card out to pay for our treats and then walked over and took a seat by the window.
"Thank you Mallory, you certainly didn't have to pay" I smiled and shook my head 'it is my absolute pleasure' the lady brought our drinks and pie over and placed it on the table and we thanked her.
'Im sorry about those things Ashley said' Martha looked at me and rolled her eyes "I'm sorry she said them about you, she never liked Clay and I, she's said much nastier things" I nodded my head. "So are do you want to stay here forever?" 'Well this is my hometown and I love it.. but I know that Caleb really likes that area outside of Calgary so if that's where he eventually wants to move I'd be more than happy to go with him' Martha's eyes twinkled at my confession and she picked up her fork to enjoy her pie.
We chit chatted about nothing in particular when the door chimed and I looked up to see Caleb and Clay walking over to us. "See dad, I told you Mallory would drag mom here" I rolled my eyes and shoved Caleb's shoulder as he sat down next to me. The waitress came over and took Caleb and Clays order and then walked off before I got a chance to respond to Caleb. 'Yes well after bumping into Val and Ashley we needed a pick me up' Caleb turned his head quickly to look at me and I brushed him off saying I'd fill him in later since the waitress walked up and delivered their desserts.

"So other than your run in how was your morning ladies?"
Clay asked and I smiled. 'It was great, lots of girl talk and some gossip' clay chuckled and Caleb's hand found mine under the table and gave it a squeeze.

After we finished our desserts and drinks Clay stretched and suggested that it was time for them to head back. "Our company is having its 30th anniversary party this weekend if you two would like to come?" Martha asked hopefully looking between us. I smiled and looked at Caleb and he nodded. 'We would love to!' Martha and Clay smiled widely and hugged us goodbye before walking out the door and down the sidewalk.
I turned to Caleb "your mom is fantastic" 'yeah she's pretty great' Caleb left money on the table for their desserts and he pulled my chair out for me 'ready to go?' I nodded and picked up my dress box from the window sill. 'Oooo what'd ya get??' I chuckled and shook my head. "It's a surprise" Caleb pouted and kissed my cheek before opening the truck door and helping me inside.
I sat my dress box in the backseat and Caleb made a big show of buckling me in and I couldn't help but grab the collar of his shirt bringing his lips to mine.
Caleb pulled away and smiled closing me in the truck and running around to the other side to hop in.
"Home?"
'Onwards!'
I exclaimed and he only chuckled.