Chapter 19

-Caleb-

When I decided I couldn't sleep anymore I got out of bed and snatched on a pair of jeans and a button down shirt when I turned around I saw Mallory brushing her wet hair in the bathroom mirror. Mallory smiled when I walked into the bathroom behind her and wrapped my arms around her her and kissed her cheek.

"Good morning Cowboy"

she said sweetly as she continued to brush her hair. I smiled at her and took the brush from her hands and started to run it through her silky hair, she smiled at me through the mirror and I returned it. I placed the brush on the counter and started to braid her hair, when I was done I grabbed the hair tie off of the bathroom counter and secured it at the end.

"Wow Cowboy, some impressive braiding skills you have there"

I smiled and turned her to face me as I slid my hands in her back pockets smiling at her.

"My sister... Cassie.. she liked dolls and things when we were small, use to talk me into playing with her."

Mallory's smile softened and she slid her arms around me laying her head against my chest.
I smiled and just held onto Mallory, appreciating that I finally had someone to talk to that actually cared.

-Mallory-

Once we separated and finally went downstairs it was almost two in the afternoon, Lou was standing in the barn doorway talking to Badger and Georgie when we walked down the stairs hand in hand. Badger gave us a small smile and I nodded my head at him to acknowledge it. Lou spoke next

"so Peter and the girls and I are about to take off.. do you guys need anything?"

I smiled and shook my head

"I think we're good Lou. We've got things here handled and we will make sure Badger has anything he needs"

Lou smiled and looked between all of us sensing that something has shifted but didn't say anything.

"Okay, sounds like you guys are all set then"

she said turning and taking Georgie with her as they walked towards the house. Caleb ever full of surprises was the one to turn and start talking to Badger.

"What else do we need to take care of out here?"

'Nothing really just feed this evening'

"well there's an empty Hay trailer, we could go fill it up so that tomorrow all we have to do is take it out to pasture and then get a late lunch at the Diner."

Badger nodded with a half of a smile and Caleb looked at me and I nodded. Caleb clapped his hands rubbing them together and said

"alright! Badger and I will go hook up the hay cart if you will go get me some coffee"

I smiled and kissed his Cheek.

"Badger? Want Coffee?"

'Yes please'

he said as they were already headed out of the barn door.

-Caleb-

I knew Mallory was confused at my sudden relaxed attitude towards Badger, but after their talk in the kitchen.. and the morning I had with Mallory I knew I didn't have anything to worry about and there was no need to make mine or Badgers life miserable. Once I backed the truck up to the Hay Cart I got out to help Badger hook it up, when we got it hooked up Badger leaned against the tailgate of the pickup as we waited for Mallory to come with the Coffee. It surprised me that Badger started a conversation but once he did I was glad that I made the decision to be friendly.

"I talked to Mallory and told her but I'll tell you too, I didn't come here hoping for things to go back to the way that they were before. I Screwed my chances with her, I know that. I'm not looking for trouble, I came here because it's a safe place and I needed to get away from where I was before I became something that I couldn't recover from. You Care about Mallory a lot. I'm glad. I just want you to know I'm not going to mess with things. Your both happy."

At the end of his speech I gave him a smile and clapped him on his shoulder.

"Heartland is a good place to come when you need help, I understand."

I looked away from Badger and Smiled as I saw Mallory walking across the yard with three thermoses of Coffee. Once Mallory got to us and handed out our Coffee, I got into the Drivers seat, Mallory in the middle and Badger in the passenger seat. Mallory hugged close to my side as we started out of the driveway and I placed my hand on her thigh.

"So how many Cows does Heartland have now?"

Badger asked

"well the pasture that this hay cart we are filling will go to there are only 14. They are ones Tim gave to Amy. Tim has over150 head on his place but we only have to look out for those when he asks. Tim was out of town but he got back last night so we're free!"

I answered smoothly.

"Well, that's definitely more than the dairy cow that Mallory tried to halter break the last time I was here"

Mallory's Cheeks turned a light pink shade and I smiled remembering how determined she was about that. I chuckled and patted her knee as we arrived at he Hay barn. I pulled the hay cart through the Ally and hopped out climbing into the loft with Badger close behind me. It only took us twenty minutes to have the hay cart loaded. I looked down to find Mallory, I was breathing heavily from throwing that many sixty pound square bales into the hay cart to find her pacing back and forth in front of the barn on her phone. I frowned, and quietly climbed down the ladder to see what was wrong.

'So mom how are things going?'

I couldn't hear what her mother was saying obviously but I stayed where I was listening.

'That's Great Mom I'm so happy for you guys'

a pause as she listened to her mom.

'No really I'm fine here... yes, yes staying gone for thanksgiving but coming home for Christmas sounds good.... uhuh yes mom I'm sure'

I almost turned away as I realized her mom must have just called to check on her when she started to speak again but this time I could hear the edge in her voice

'so, Mom, Dad there is something I want to tell you..... I have been dating someone... yes you guys know him... no I didn't meet him online!'

I had to bite back a laugh at that one.

'Yes it's.. it's Caleb'

she said as she turned around and caught me eavesdropping. I smiled guiltily but stayed where I was.

'Yes from the Fleming's... he's 24... yes Dad I know... yes.. yes Daddy.'

Mallory flushed a deep red and lowered her eyes to the ground.

'I will, yes mama'

she said looking up with a Wide grin covering her face.

'Okay, I love you guys too bye'

Mallory hung up clicking the lock button on her phone.

So...? I said looking at her.

"Mama wasn't even a little surprised. Dad was a little grumpy but I think it was just from the surprise. He was okay enough when we hung up"

I laughed and put my arm around her As Badger made his way out of the hay loft I ducked my head down and whispered in her ear

"Jack wasn't surprised either.. or Ty. Maybe they knew before us"

I smiled and Kissed her temple before we all Climbed into the truck and headed towards the diner.