Chapter 16

-Caleb-

Mallory helped Lou clean up the kitchen while I took badger out to the barn to make him a list of things to do. I was silent on our trip to the barn, while I turned the horses out, and while I wrote him a list of things to do on the Chalkboard.

'Is-is she okay?'

I looked over at Badger with a deadpanned look

"if you wanted to know the answer to that question you shouldn't have just up and left. Or you should have stayed in touch."

I could see the regret trailing across his face but I was too protective over Mallory to let it soften me.

"There's a list for you, you remember where everything is?"

He just nodded silently. Just as I was turning to Walk out of the barn I saw my truck pulling up to the doors and Mallory hopping out and coming inside. I smiled as I watched her run up the stairs to my loft and then busted out into a full grin when she came down and I saw she had my hoodie on.

"Ready to go?"

I asked her smiling. She nodded to me sparing Badger a quick glance and then walked in front of me to my truck and got in the drivers side. I chuckled and Climbed into the passenger side.

"You think your just going to drive my truck?"

I asked smiling.

'Well, I kinda am'

she shot back sassily. I grinned and reached over to turn the radio up a little bit as she drove down the driveway. It took less than five minutes to arrive at the Crappy old trailer that I use to call my home. I sighed as I got out of the truck and stretched. I walked around to the Drivers side and opened Mallory's door, she turned sideways in the seat and I stepped between her legs and rested my hands on her thighs while she put her hands around my neck.

"Good morning pretty girl"

I said as I leaned in to kiss her. She kissed me back tightening her grip on me and pulling me closer, I smiled into the kiss and licked her lip asking for entrance. She moaned quietly as I tangled my tongue with hers and tried to get even closer. I smiled to myself and then pulled away leaving her a little dazed. I chuckled and grabbed her hand pulling her out of the truck and slamming the door closed, I pulled her into the Crappy trailer with me and she gasped when she saw everything in boxes and the rest of the place trashed.

"Ashley wanted to make sure she got every last thing that was hers.. sorry it's so.. Crappy"

I trailed off not knowing what else to say, Mallory's family's not rich but they by far have more than I ever had. Mallory came to stand in front of me and hold my face in her hands.

'Don't apologize Caleb, Don't be embarrassed. It's not your fault.'

I nodded wrapping my arms around her and pulling her into a hug.

-Mallory-

We stood there for a long time, just hugging and being comfortable. Well, atleast I was completely comfortable.
I stepped back looking at the boxed and the few things scattered around.

"So, only the boxes are your stuff?"

Caleb nodded

'yeah the rest of the stuff belongs here in the Camper. Especially if he's going to be living in here'

I noticed the edge in his voice but decided to let it go as I started toting boxes out to the back of Caleb's Truck. Once we had the few boxes and all of Caleb's clothes loaded I walked back into the camper and flopped down on the couch. Caleb came in a minute later and sat down laying my head in his lap. I looked up at him smiling.

"Why are you so Grumpy about Badger being here?"

'Because he hurt you Mal and I know he could just say sorry and you would forgive him.. because that's who you are'

I pouted slightly as I thought things through before it all clicked and I smiled up at Caleb. I sat up facing him with a smirk plastered on my face.

'What?'

He questioned looking Clueless.

"Your worries that he will say sorry and I'll go running back.. that I'll leave you for him"

'Me? No!'

But I could see the telltale sign of his ears turning a little red.
I thought about making him suffer but decided that I should be nice, I crawled over to him and sat in his lap.

"I really, really like you Caleb."

I said holding his cheeks in my hands.

'Well, I really, really like you Mallory'

he said before leaving in to kiss me.

I pulled away smiling and Caleb finally looked at ease for the first time today.
After a while I got up off of Caleb's lap and finished Cleaning up the trailer, washing the dishes and sweeping the floor while Caleb picked up the trash that Ashley slung around and changed the Sheets on the bed. By the time we finished at the Camper it was 3:00. We walked out of the camper and climbed into Caleb's truck, when we pulled back up to the barn I noticed Georgie and Lou talking to Badger but Katie making a run for Caleb. He smiled and picked her up tossing her into the air and catching her. I looked at her as Caleb held her up and she Giggled. She's 5 but she's a little smaller than average so it's  easy for him to toss her around. Caleb put her on his shoulders as we walked up to the little group in the barn. Lou was the first one to turn and acknowledge us.

'Hey guys, get the camper all settled away?'

"Yeah we did, cleaned it too. It's all ready for Badger"

Caleb answered while I just stood there quietly.

'We already fed, it's a little early but I thought you guys would unload that stuff when you got home and then we would have dinner at 6:30?'

Lou asked looking hopeful.

"Sure Lou, that sounds great"

Caleb answered while he sat Katie back down on the ground. I turned to look at Georgie who was staring at Badger, who was starting at me. Caleb cleared his throat and stepped closer to me placing his arm around my waist making Badger look away. I smiled at him Great-fully and leaned into him slightly.

"We should Unload those boxes so that's done."

I said pulling Caleb towards his truck.

'We'll help!'

Georgie volunteered dragging Badger with her. I smiled at her knowingly and grabbed two of the medium boxes toting them up the stairs. It only took us two trips a piece with the extra help, so in no time Caleb's things were sitting in the middle of the floor in the barn loft.
Forgetting Badger was there I walked over and flopped myself down on Caleb's bed. Caleb laughed looking at me from the bathroom where he was putting things away in the drawers.
Badger cleared his throat and Georgie excused herself to go to the house and help Lou with Dinner.

Caleb walked out of the bathroom and nodded to Badger.

'Thanks for helping us tote the boxes. The Camper is all ready for you'

"uh yeah, no problem"

he gave me one last look before I heard him clunking down the stairs. Caleb laid back on the bed with me and rested his head on my stomach.

"I think I'm gonna nap until dinner"

he said through a yawn as his eyes dropped. I smiled and ran my fingers through his hair until I dozed off as well.