Chapter 13

-Caleb-

I walked back in the barn holding my bridle in my hand from where I turned Ghost out as I hung my bridle on my hook I noticed mallory was cleaning stalls as she hummed. I stood there leaning against the wall as I watched her, I watched how her forehead crinkled as she went deeper into thought, how her humming got quieter when she got to a spot in the song she didn't know as well. I smiled to myself wondering when Mallory changed from the dorky neighbor girl to the beautiful girl I get to call my girlfriend. I finally pushed myself off the wall before she caught me staring and headed outside to see Amy riding in the arena and Ty videoing. I walked over and stood next to Jack watching Amy ride a horse I have never seen before.

"Who does that belong to?"

Jack looked over at me before gritting his teeth and answering.

'Chase, he wants Amy to take her and show her on the Circuit'

"that means being on the road for three months at the least.."

I trailed off not knowing what to say.

'I know, Amy wants to go but she feels guilty for leaving. I know. But I want her to go do it, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to show a horse of that caliber on someone else's dime'

I nodded watching Amy easily glide over the jumps.

'I want you to move into the barn Caleb. Full time.'

I looked over at Jack.

"Are you sure?"

Jack nodded and looked down.

'Now is a good time For Amy to do this with Lou and Peter and the girls here for some extra help, I spoke to Mallory's parents and she's going to be staying here too. I want Ty to go with Amy cause it would make me feel like she's safe, at least, from everything but Ty'

Jack kinda Chuckled and looked over at me.

'How about it?'

"You got it Jack"

Jack nodded and some of the stiffness left his body and he smiled at me

'I'm sure a certain blonde girl would be happy to help you clean the loft and move your stuff in... but wait till after dinner tonight. That's when I'm going to announce to everyone that Amy and Ty are going'

I nodded my head and watched as Amy finished her course.

At dinner that night I could tell Jack was tense and Amy was disappointed but everyone was putting on a good show of being happy. I ate my mashed potatoes in silence as I held Mallory's hand under the table and traced circles along the back of it. I glanced over and noticed she ate a piece of chicken and green beans. I smiled at her squeezing her hand. Jack cleared his throat pulling me out of my thoughts and I turned to look at him.

'I have put a lot of thought into this and it will take a little bit of work from everyone but it's what I think is best'

everyone looked at him expectantly food totally forgotten.

'I want Amy to go on the Circuit and I want Ty to go with her'

"but grandpa I-"

'no Amy. I don't want you to look back and regret this. It's already been decided. Caleb is going to move in the barn and Mallory is going to move into the house and with Peter and Lou and the girls around. This is your time.'

Amy jumped up and hugged Jack tightly. I Smiled and looked at Ty who was grinning from ear to ear. He mouthed A 'Thank You' and I nodded my head to him.

Mallory squeezed my hand under the table and I looked at her to see her smiling and pointing to the kitchen. I quirked my head wondering what she wanted but she stood and motioned for me to follow her. I obediently did, everyone else was still so distracted that they didn't even miss us. As soon as we were in the kitchen she turned around and kissed me, I kissed her back placing my hands on her hips. Just as I was getting into kissing her she pulled back and smiled at me, I smiled back

"you made me come in here just to kiss you? Cause not that I don't enjoy kissing you but there's a party out there"

I hooked my fingers in her pockets pulling her close as I nodded my head in the direction of the dinning room. She laughed and pulled away and walked into the Pantry to bring out a cake that said 'congratulations Amy'

'no I brought you in here to get bowls and ice cream."

She smirked and walked towards the dinning room, before I knew what was happening I found my eyes wondering to her butt, I had almost gotten away with it but she looked back at me as she went around the corner and she smirked! I shook my head and grabbed plates and the ice cream before making my way back to the festivities in the dining room.

Mallory had placed the cake in front of Amy and I sat the plates and ice cream in front of Ty as I made my way over to my seat by Mallory. My hand found hers under the table again and I squeezed it. In my mind i tried to keep reminding myself this was normal. The overwhelming need to touch her or kiss her or just be near her but in my heart I knew that things with Ashley had never been this easy.