Chapter 38

-Mallory-

I woke up around 6:45 and took a deep breath getting out of an empty bed and pulling on fresh clothes for the day.
I pulled my jeans on and put on a pink shirt and then pulled the vest that Caleb had given me on, tugging my boots on I stomped down the stairs to find that all of the morning chores had been done. I was just finishing braiding my hair when a vehicle I didn't recognize pulled through the overhead and up to the barn. Looking closer I realized it was Caleb's mom and dad, Clay and Martha.
They got out of the car and walked over to the barn where I was and Clay reached out to hug me. "Good morning Mallory! We haven't ever been out here and we were going to surprise Caleb" I smiled and pulled back from clay to give Martha a hug 'absolutely! It's so good to see you guys again. I'm not sure where Caleb is but he will show up soon' they just nodded and looked at me and we chatted a little. "So Caleb tells me he got you that little horse that you were riding at the rodeo?" I nodded and led the way down the barn ally 'yep, this is Dragon' I said showing her to them. We were just chatting and visiting when Caleb came through the barn door with Katie on his shoulders. "Mom! Dad! What a surprise." Caleb said excitedly walking over to us and setting Katie down so that he could hug his mom and dad. Once they were done and Caleb was just standing there talking he introduced Georgie to them and Scooped up Katie, who had been hugging his leg, "and this is Katie" I smiled at the two of them and I looked at Caleb's mom and I could see the smile, I could see her imagining Caleb with children of his own.. children that I hoped would be mine also. I stepped back while they were busy talking and pulled my phone out.

New Text Message.

To Lou: Caleb's parents surprised him.. is there enough breakfast or should we go to town?

Lou:
There is plenty! I'll make a few more eggs and a little more toast. Come on in.

I smiled and walked to Caleb's side and showed him the messages and he smiled.

"Mom, Dad lets go up to the house. Lou is making breakfast and there is plenty"

We trudged you to the house and just as Caleb sat Katie down on the porch she laughed and clapped yelling something I couldn't decipher but when I turned around I saw Badger pedaling up to the barn on his bike.
Caleb turned and saw him too, whistling to him he motioned for him to come to the house.

-Caleb-

I opened the door. "Alright! Everyone in!" Katie was the first one through the door followed by my parents and then Georgie. Mallory headed in but I snagged her arm pulling her back and I leaned down placing a kiss on her lips. "Good morning"
Mallory kissed me back and then headed inside, by that time Badger had made it to the porch and filed in too.

We all sat down at the dining room table and I introduced my parents to everyone.
Just as Lou and Mallory we're putting the last of the dishes on the table Peter came in from his run. "Sorry I was gone so long, I ran into Val and she was chatty this morning" I rolled my eyes and Lou introduced Peter to my parents. Peter politely introduced himself and then excused himself to go shower telling us not to wait.
We filled our plates and chatted when Lou spoke up. "It's so nice of you guys to drop by and surprise Caleb. We were beginning to wonder if he actually had family" I smiled sadly at my mom and dad and then I cleared my throat. 'Yeah, well they kinda stayed away when things weren't so stable' Everyone seemed to know I was talking about Ashley and Mallory's hand came to rest on my leg under the table. Lou spoke again changing the subject "well I'm just sorry that Grandpas not here, he would have loved to meet you guys" my dad looked at Lou and nodded. I smiled at all of the people sitting around the table and then I spoke up again 'we would love if you guys came back, maybe stayed for a few days.. Lou has a guest ranch here on the other side of heartland with cabins. You could meet Jack and Lisa and we could catch up...' my moms smile widened and my dad nodded. Everyone seemed to relax into their breakfast after that and I couldn't help but be thankful for my family.

-Mallory-

After breakfast Badger went outside to clean stalls since Caleb and Georgie did most of the morning chores, Georgie went into the Home office to get everting sorted out for her VHS and I carried the dishes into the kitchen and started washing them.
Lou came into the kitchen just as I was washing the last frying pan and looked surprised. "You didn't have to do all of those" I smiled at her and shrugged 'I don't mind at all. It's good for me to keep busy' Lou nodded and leaned against the island in the kitchen. "They booked 10 days for around thanksgiving to come stay and meet Grandpa" I nodded and smiled. 'Yeah I think they all three would like to make up for lost time' rinsing odd the last pan I sat it in the drying rack and turned the water off, grabbing the hand towel and turning towards Lou. Lou just smiled and looked at me. "You look happy Mallory" I smiled 'I'm very happy Lou' Lou cleared her throat and fidgeted around. "I know you know what went down between Caleb and I, you know everything" I nodded and smiled feeling relieved that someone else felt awkward about it also. 'I know Lou, it was mixed emotions and harmless everyone is over it' Lou sighed and looked at me "good, you had been kind of awkward and I wasn't sure if that was why...." I shook my head and reached forward hugging Lou 'there's just been a lot going on' Lou nodded and hugged me back. We broke apart just as Caleb was walking into the kitchen. "Should I come back..." I quickly swatted him with the dish towel that was still in my hands. He just laughed and walked over to me and placed a kiss on my lips. "I'm going to go check the cows and my mom and dad said they would ride with me" Lou and I nodded and off he went.

Lou looked at me 'he is head over heels for you' I laughed and nodded. "I know, and I love it"

We both laughed and headed to the living room to sit by the fire.