Chapter 21

-Caleb-

The ride back to Heartland was silent except for the hum of the heater in the truck running, I knew Mallory was upset so I planted my hand on her knee all the way home. I didn't even bother to drive to the camper to drop Badger off I just headed to the house.
Once we got out of the truck we all made our way inside. Badger, started a fire in the fireplace and Mallory and I walked into the kitchen. I sat down at the table watching as Mallory put water on the stove to heat up for something before walking to the freezer and grabbing a bag of peas and walking over to me.

I expect her to shove them into my hand but before I knew what was happening she was standing between my legs pressing the frozen peas to my bruised jaw, I looked up and she met my eyes for the first time since it all went down.

"I'm sorry Mallory, I should have walked away."

Mallory smiled sadly and looked at me.

'No, I'm pretty sure he deserved a broken nose'

I chuckled holding her hand over the bag of peas.

'Does it hurt too bad?'

Mallory asked pulling the frozen peas away from my face.

"It doesn't feel great but I'll survive... should we go explain to Badger?"

Mallory nodded and placed the peas back in the freezer before taking my hand and heading into the living room.

Badger was sitting on the coffee table in front of the fire but turned to look at us curiously.

"So your probably curious about the strange turn of events"

'Kinda I mean I thought you guys were close with Jake and I was the outcast but tonight... it kinda felt like the other way around'

I let out a long breath of air wondering where to start when Mallory surprised me by taking over.

"Jake has been a douche since after you left basically, he's Been a pest and a bully and has made me feel inadequate as a human being. It was only ever verbal... until the other day... Jake showed up here, he wanted Caleb to rope with him and Caleb turned him down. It was only the day after we were.. figuring things out. Caleb and I.  I answered the door and he was kind of a jerk but then he grabbed me to kiss me and I struggled and pulled back and he.. he uh slapped me"

I rubbed Mallory's back soothingly as Badger shot up off of the Coffee table with a string of bad words coming out of his mouth.

"I can see why you broke his nose"

As I was opening my mouth to speak I could hear the water pot whistling on the stove. Mallory walked into the kitchen to finish making whatever she started.

"Is she really okay?"

Badger asked with a worried expression across his face.

"I think she really is, she's been really happy lately. We both have"

I added looking at Badger. He smiled and nodded his head.

"I'm glad, I really am"

Mallory came walking back into the living room toting three mugs and handing them out.

"It's Hot Chocolate"

She announced sitting on the hearth of the fireplace.

I looked at Badger realizing that he didn't live here.

"Are you good Crashing on the couch? Mallory and I will sleep in her room since this house is warm. It would take the loft forever to warm up"

Badger nodded playing with the Marshmallow in his Mug, I chuckled shaking my head and looked over at Mallory to find her staring at me.

"What?"

She just shook her head and smiled.
I took her hand and pulled her over to our chair and asked Badger to pick something to watch since it was only 10:00 pm on a Friday and we didn't have to be up early.
Badger chose '21 jump street' I laughed and squeezed Mallory closer to me and pulled her blanket across us. After a little while I reclined the chair and I could feel Mallory tracing the bruise that was left on my jaw.

"Don't worry about it babe, it will do away"

I whispered and she nodded a little but continued to trace my jaw.
I smiled to myself and laid my head in the crook of her neck but where I could still see the TV.

I must have dozed off because I woke up to the sound of Badger tossing more logs on the fire and Mallory standing up and stretching. I stood and stretched too heading down the hall to Mallory's room as I heard Mallory telling Badger goodnight.

I walked into Mallory's room and pulled my boots, shirt, and jeans off before just crawling into her bed in my boxers and undershirt. Not ten seconds later did Mallory walk into the room and smile at me. She walked over to the closet and started to change into pajama pants and one of my waffle shirts and then she walked over the the mirror on top of the dresser and pulled the pins out of her hair  and wipe the makeup off of her face.

I lifted the blankets up for her to slide in next to me and she busted out laughing. Confused I looked down and then suddenly remembered I had Superman boxers on. I rolled my eyes and grabbed her arm pulling her into bed with me.

"Y-you have.. have Superman boxers on"

She wheezed out between laughs. I couldn't help but smile watching her laugh. Once she finally sobered up she rolled over and kissed my cheek snuggling up to me.

"Thank you for taking me out Caleb, I had fun until you got punched"

I chuckled and squeezed her close to me Closing my eyes.

"My pleasure Ms. Mallory Wells"