Chapter 46

-Caleb-

We drove down the gravel road with the radio playing in the background and Mallory's hand in mine. When we got to the turn off to Tim's, well mine now, property Mallory turned to look at me "do we need to check the cows? We didn't bring any feed" I just shook my head and turned onto the path that led to the middle of the six acres. When I got to where I was going I put the truck in park and shut it off, walking around to Mallory's side and opening the door for her. "Caleb?" Mallory asked but I only smiled at her and grabbed her hand leading her to the small clearing. I turned to face Mallory holding both of her hands. "What are we doing here on Tim's property? He's liable to shoot us..." I chuckled and shook my head. 'I was thinking this would be a nice spot' Mallory tilted her head to the side and looked at me "a nice spot for what?" I laughed nervously 'a nice spot for a home' "Tim is building a house?" I grinned at Mallory's cluelessness and let go of her hands while she was distracted and looking around I got down on one knee. 'No Mallory, a home for us' at my words Mallory's eyes snapped back to me and she gasped. 'I know it's only been six months and some might say that's too soon, but Mallory I can't picture my life without you. I want to build a life with you, a home, a family.' I held my breath waiting for Mallory's response. Mallory was smiling with tears running down her face and she finally nodded "yes! A million times yes!" I stood up and engulfed Mallory in a hug kissing her and then holding her tight. I let go of Mallory so she could see the ring I had made for her, it was a simple diamond in a silver band engraved with sunflowers and tooling around the band. Mallory held out her hand and allowed me to slip the ring on her finger and admired it. I dug in my pocket and produced the ring from her mom and opened the box showing her. 'Your mom gave me this ring the night we went out to eat. She told me that if we were going to start a life together it should be a part of it. I was already having that one made but if you would rather wear your family heirloom I completely understand.' Mallory looked down at the ring in the box from her mom and smiled gently. "I remember my grandmother wearing this and then my mom after her" Mallory smiled fondly and closed the lid of the ring box. "It's a part of my family history and I do want to keep it and wear it" Mallory turned to me holding her hand out in front of me. "But this is the beginning of our family. I wouldn't want it any other way." I smiled and pulled Mallory close to me. "So you bought property.." Mallory glanced up and me and I nodded. I walked over to a spot and looked at Mallory. 'I was thinking the house could go here. And maybe a barn over there once we got the house done'

-Mallory-

I stood there in awe watching Caleb talk about house and barn plans and then I looked down at the ring on my finger and I smiled. I walked over to Caleb still rambling about building plans and I wrapped my arms around him. "I love you Caleb O'dell and I will Marry you and I will love every minute of building a life with you" Caleb smiled at me and leaned down to kiss me. 'We can go slow Mal, we can wait as long as you'd like to get married. We can wait as long as you'd like to tell people we got engaged. I just love you and I can't imagine a life without you ever again.' I wrapped my arms around Caleb and held onto him tightly. "I love you too Caleb. More than I can explain"

-Caleb-

We finally got back in the truck and headed back to heartland. Mallory's hand sitting on top of mine, her ring catching rays from the setting sun. "So I have a question?" I stopped at the stop sign and looked over at Mallory giving her the okay to ask. "You said you were already having this made when my mom gave you the other ring.. how long have you been thinking about this?" I smiled at Mallory working through the madness. 'I started having the ring made the day I bought dragon for you. I knew then that I wanted to spend my life with you' Mallory smiled and admired her ring. "Who made the ring?" I chuckled and wrapped my hand around hers. 'Josh's sister is a silversmith' Mallory nodded and leaned back into the seat watching the scenery go by on the way to heartland.

One we got back Mallory went to the house to heat up our take out that was forgotten about with all the excitement and I went upstairs to grab a shower. Not five minutes later I heard Mallory come up the stairs while I rinsed the soap off of my face. I quickly finished up and walked out of the shower to see Mallory standing at the table playing with her ring. I smiled and looked at her "is it burning your hand?" Mallory turned to me looking confused 'huh?' "Your ring, knowing your tied to me" Mallory laughed loudly and shook her head. 'Not at all' I grinned and kissed her head. "Good, so if it's not the ring what's up?" Before Mallory could answer my phone chimed and I picked it up off the desk.

Badger: tell Mallory we're sorry for the PDA we didn't know you guys would be back so soon. We were only making out. I'm headed home now .
Btw... congrats. I saw the ring 😜
I chuckled reading the text and turned to Mallory. "Walked in on em huh?" Mallory nodded and I laughed pulling her to me and kissing her.