Chapter 31

-Caleb-

I woke up hearing the shower turn on and I stretched, sighing I got out of bed and headed to the laundry room pulling my clothes from yesterday out of the dryer and putting them on. I dropped my Pajamas in the washing machine and I grabbed my phone off of the kitchen counter.

Jack: just checking in.. Amy won the round yesterday so she will continue to move on at this show. She is sitting 2nd in the circuit. I'm going to stay and watch since after this set of shows they will be headed west.

Caleb: sounds good. Tell her good luck for me. Things are good here, it's been quiet.

Lou: the fair was great but the girls want to hit the zoo and the aquarium so we probably won't be home until Tuesday night maybe even midday Wednesday.

Caleb: okay have fun

Badger: just letting you know I'll be back tonight. Still with Scott.

Caleb: okay just have Scott drop you at your trailer tonight. We have things covered here.

Josh: I have to go pick up a donkey that my mom bought because she has no self control. Want me to drop dragon off at heartland for you? It's on my way.

I thought about Josh's text for a minute. I wanted it to be a surprise.

Caleb: yes but I want it to be a surprise so I'll take Mallory somewhere. Just put Her in the round pen by the barn.. I will leave you an envelope with the money right inside the barn door. What time are you headed this way?

Josh: leaving in an hour and it will take me an hour to get there. 2 hours?

Caleb: 👍🏻

I slid my phone in my pocket and headed out to the barn. I filled water buckets first and then started scooping up grain. Just when I finished feeding the left side of the barn Mallory walked in. "Good morning" I told her and I leaned down to kiss her. 'Good morning to you too' Mallory looked around and I suggested that she go up to the loft and chuck hay into the stalls while I fed the right side of the barn.
In 30 minutes we were done with morning chores and I looked at the time 45 minutes until Josh would be here to drop dragon off.
"Mallory, why don't you go start my truck and grab us some water and we will go check the cows this morning?"
'Okay, we can go for a ride later'
I nodded and ran upstairs to the loft and grabbed my backpack grabbing the envelope from Val I counted out $3,050 and slid it into another envelope with a note.

'Josh,
Thanks for delivering her, I put $50 extra bucks in for fuel. This means a lot. We'll get together soon
                          ~ Caleb'

I stashed the note right inside the barn door where I told josh it would be and I headed for my truck. Just as I slid into the drivers seat Mallory was coming out of the house with bottles of water and pop tarts in her hands. I smiled at her and took my water and pop tart as she climbed into the truck.
"Ready?"
She nodded her mouth already full of pop tart and I laughed.
As we were driving down the gravel road she looked over at me 'have you heard from Badger?' I nodded and then continued "said they would be back tonight and I texted him back and told him just to have Scott leave him at the trailer that we would cover chores."
'Perfect'
"Also Lou texted and they won't be back until Tuesday night maybe even midday Wednesday and Jack is going to stay and watch Amy. She made it two more rounds and is sitting first at this show and second in the circuit" 'sweet two more days of freedom.'
I nodded and turned onto the road where Tim's cattle are first. Bumping down the road I was surprised to see Tim's truck parked by the gate. Tim stepped out seeing us driving up and waved. I waved back putting my truck in park and shutting it off. Tim walked up to my window 'hey Caleb, Mallory' "Tim, how are you?" Tim nodded 'not too bad, I was in town a few days so I thought I would take care of my cattle while I was here. Called jack and left a voicemail but never heard back.' I nodded and glanced over at Mallory. "Yeah jack went up to Calgary to  watch the Fall Futurity that Amy's riding in since it was so close." Tim nodded 'I talked to Amy the other night, she said things were going well'
"Yeah this morning Jack said she was sitting first and this show and second on the circuit." 'Jack staying up there till the end of the futurity?' "I'm not positive but that's what the text sounded like" Tim smiled and nodded. "Well we were just coming out to check the cattle but I guess since your here we will just head over to heartlands cattle"  'alright, thanks for checking mine' "you got it, if you'll just shoot me a text when your headed back out again we will make sure we get these checked too" Tim nodded and hit the side of the truck in confirmation as he was walking off.

I turned to Mallory. "I didn't know Marion but I don't have a clue how someone could live with that man" Mallory nodded and finished eating her pop tart. I chuckled and turned around heading down the road to heartlands cattle. We got the cattle checked, water was good and they still had Hay and then I turned to head back to the house as my phone dinged.

Josh: package delivered and munching on some hay. Found the envelope. Nice doing business with you.

Caleb: thanks so much. See ya

I tucked my phone away and ignored Mallory's questions as I happily drove back towards heartland.