Chapter 72

-Mallory-

The spaghetti was a success and we had a good evening watching tv.

I yawned and stepped out of the shower, wrapping myself in a fluffy towel and putting leave in conditioner in my hair and brushing it. I ran my fingers through my hair and brushed my teeth and then made my way back to the bedroom where Caleb was still sprawled across the bed. I crept over to the bed and popped Caleb with the hand towel that was in my hands and he jumped up looking around. I laughed at his dazed look and stood on my toes to kiss his cheek. Caleb smacked my butt and made his way to the bathroom and I made my way to the bag that we've been living out of since we were staying in the house and got dressed in a sweater and a pair of yoga pants. I went into the kitchen to find Katie and Georgie at the bar eating cereal. "Good morning! Caleb and I have an appointment to check in on the baby today at 11:45 so I thought we could all go and eat something in town."  Katie's eyes lit up and she looked at me and nodded. 'Do you get to know what the baby is today?' I nodded and then shrugged. "They said that more than likely we should be able to tell today. I just want them to be healthy." I rubbed my hand over my belly that was starting to show. Caleb walked into the kitchen looking down at his phone, the ends of his hair still dripping and his shirt untucked. I sucked in a breath and watched him walk across the kitchen. Georgie caught me gawking and she grinned at me. I felt my face flush and I looked away from Caleb. "Badger said that he was taking care of the chores this morning and then going back to his trailer to do some of his online class work." I nodded while I was putting bread in the toaster. 'That's fine with me, we can easily feed when we get home from the doctors appointment and lunch and anything else that anyone wants to do while we are in town.' I jumped as my toast popped up and I slathered it with peanut-butter and drizzled some honey on top of it. I took a bite of my toast when my phone started ringing in the other room. I ran to grab it.
-hello
-hey Mallory how are you doing?
My mom asked and I smiled.
-I'm pretty good, we're just hanging out this morning. We have an appointment to check on the baby this afternoon.
-that's super exciting honey!
-yeah, I'm very excited to get to hear their little heart beat again.
-you'll let us know how it all goes?
-of course! How are you guys doing? How's the tour?
-it's wonderful! We're getting to see all kinds of new things and places. I think it will be extended by a few weeks and then we will go again next year.
I smiled to myself as I listened to my mom talk about how great it's been seeing different parts of the world.
-well anyways, we love you kiddo. We just wanted to check in.

- love you too mom. We will let you know after the appointment.

We said our goodbyes and I made my way back to the kitchen where Georgie was washing the dishes and Caleb was drinking a cup of coffee. "My mom says hi to everyone." Everyone nodded and I walked back to where my toast was left. At 10:30 I started rounding everyone up and we made our way to Caleb's truck. We drove slow and got to town at about 11:40. Caleb parked in the Drs. Office parking lot and I turned to face Georgie and Katie. "You guys are going to wait here?" Georgie nodded and pulled her iPad out  to watch a movie on. 'Okay, I'll leave the truck run so it stays warm.' Georgie nodded and I slid out of the truck and made my way to the receptionist to sign in. A few minutes later we were called into the back and they did the routine things like check my weight, blood pressure and pulse and then they led me to the ultrasound room. I jumped up on the table and Caleb stood next to me as the doctor came in the door and introduced herself. "Hi I'm Amanda and I will be helping you out today, I know that you didn't see me before but this is my specialty, I hope you don't mind." I shook my head. 'Not at all, it's super nice to meet you, my name is Mallory we.. Odell and this is my husband Caleb.' Amanda nodded and smiled and then we began the exam. Finally we got to the ultrasound and I held my breath until I heard the small strong heartbeat and I let out the air I had been holding. "So baby looks healthy, looks like they have some long legs. Are we learning the gender today or are we keeping it a surprise?" 'We want to know' Caleb and I all but shouted at the same time. The doctor laughed and started to scan again. Dr. Amanda clicked buttons on the computer and kept moving the ultra sound wand around a little at a time. "Well Mr. And Mrs. Odell I'm happy to announce that you will be having a little girl." I gasped and was all smiles and Caleb smiled and gave me a hug. 'Is she healthy? Is everything okay?' Dr. Amanda smiled and nodded. "Everything seems to be going as it should. I would like to set you up an appointment for next month in St-clet, there is a much larger facility there, I have a friend I would refer you to, and there they will do some more advanced tests like for gestational diabetes and such. Run of the mill tests that we do for pregnancies but they are able to do them all in house and give you your results within a couple of hours" 'absolutely if that's something you could do I would love that.' She nodded and scribbled some notes down on my file. "Alright mrs. Odell here is your sonogram photos and I will set up that appointment and someone will call you with the details." We thanked the doctor and made our way out of the office and to Caleb's truck where we found Georgie and Katie fast asleep in the backseat. We silently climbed in and the girls remained asleep while Caleb backed out of the parking lot and made his way towards Maggie's.