Chapter 62

-Caleb-

We watched Amy and chase show, both doing flawless, and then we all headed out to go to dinner after Amy told us it would be morning before any results were available. Getting out of the truck at the restaurant I put my arm around Mallory walking to the door. Val Stanton was walking out of the restaurant just as we joined the rest of the Fleming party at the front door.
"Caleb, Mallory it's so good to see you" I smiled and nodded politely and Mallory spoke 'you too Mrs. Stanton, I hope your horses are doing well' Val shrugged her shoulders and nodded. "All but two are doing well, but I think that's more a rider issue." Val reached out and placed her hand on Mallory's arm "I drove out to Tim's place to discuss the fence line bordering Briar Ridge with him and the little house is looking great. Tim told me that it was yours" Mallory smiled so widely I thought her face would split. 'Yes it's our home. I can't wait for it to be ready. Not that we don't love living at Heartland but it will be nice to have our own space' Val patted Mallory's arm fondly and she gave me a quick hug. "It's good to see the both of you happy and thriving" after our somewhat odd exchange she moved on and spoke to Amy and Jack. Soraya moved over to Mallory's side and whispered to her about something and Mallory just shrugged and said they would go to lunch one day next week.

When our party was called in we all trailed in to the big table, I helped Mallory with her chair and then sat next to her placing my arm on the back of her chair. I heard loud laughter from the bar and I turned and looked to see Ashley looking fairly intoxicated, hanging off of the arm of an expensive looking man. I could only assume he was the man her new shiny ring came from. I looked down at my hand that was on top of Mallory's hand sitting in my lap and I brushed my thumb across her engagement ring and wedding band and I smiled. I couldn't wipe the smile off of my face thinking how lucky I was to be here with this woman who daily encourages me to be myself and one that I would do absolutely anything for her and our child. How lucky I was to be here with these people and not having to pretend that I came from this glamorous world, I can just be me. I caught Mallory's eyes and she looked at me with raised eyebrows. I shook my head with a smile on my face and squeezed her hand lightly as the waiter was taking our drink orders. Once our drinks arrived and our food orders had been put in Jack cleared his throat and stood up. 'Amy, we are so very proud of you and all that you have accomplished these last nine months, but, we don't feel like it's enough. We think that you should finish out this year and sign on with Chase for next year.' "But grandpa there's no wa.." Jack raised his hand to silence Amy. 'We have discussed and talked about this a lot. Lou and Peter are off living their life. You should too. I am also going to be helping Lisa more and more. I have enjoyed it and it's good for us old people to stay active' Jack took a deep breath and turned to Mallory and I. 'We have the two best helpers here that we can ask for. Caleb has agreed to take over management of the barn with badgers help. Taking on boarders and taking a few horses in to ride to cover the barn expenses. Mallory is going to take Management of the guest houses and events' Soraya clapped excitedly. "I'll be more than happy to help Mallory too!" Jack smiled kindly at Soraya. 'So what do you think? I think it's about time that the Fleming family chased all those dreams they have.' Amy looked around the table, her eyes shiny with emotion and she stood up giving Jack a hug.

Amy turned to Mallory and I, 'are you guys sure? We don't want to tie you to heartland. Caleb you always had dreams to leave.' I shook my head. "I did have those dreams, but it turns out that I found a bigger dream that I didn't know I wanted." I squeezed Mallory's hand. "I love every single one of you at this table and Heartland has been my home for many years and I would like nothing more for my child to be a part of this life and the people that have helped to shape me into the person that I am. I would love nothing more than to be here for you guys like you have been there for me a million times over"
Once everyone's emotions had returned to a more manageable level we all returned to our seats and started chatting and goofing off. After a while Soraya chimes in 'wait a minute. Mrs. Stanton said something about a house??' Mallory excitedly nodded and told everyone all about the house and where it was and how the structure should be done in the next couple of weeks. Jack was asking me about the building and my plans and I told him everything, including a few things I hadn't even mentioned to Mallory yet.

Once we were done eating we hugged everyone and bid them goodnight. 'Are you sure you don't want to stay the night? We can make room' Chase offered. "No thanks, it's only 45 minutes to my parents house and we have to tell them the news" Jack smiled in understanding and he shook my hand, He hugged Mallory and then we hugged everyone else goodby. 'In five weeks we will be back here' Mallory hugged Amy "as long as Badger can be at heartland we'll be here" after our goodbyes we're done we headed off to our truck and made the 43 minute drive to My parents.

-Mallory-

To my surprise when we got there at 10:47 at night the living room and front room lights were on. "My parents always have stayed up late. That's why I didn't bother calling." I shrugged and unbuckled my seatbelt and slid out of the truck stretching when my feet hit the ground. Caleb's dad stuck his head out of the door to see who was outside. I started walking towards Caleb's dad and Caleb got our bags out of the truck. "Hi Mr. Odell, I'm sorry it's so late and that Caleb didn't call" Mr Odell wrapped me in a big hug 'don't ever apologize, I'm so grateful that you are comfortable here. Caleb's mom popped through the door at that moment 'oh! Mallory!' I left Mr. Odell to give Mrs. Odell a hug as Caleb was walking down the driveway. 'It's so good to see you kids is something wrong?' "No! Not at all. We were at a horse show watching Amy and it was only 45 minutes from here so I though we could stay the night and spend the day tomorrow?" I asked sheepishly. 'Of course honey! You never have to ask.' We made our way into the living room where Mr. Odell had a puzzle scattered on the coffee table and Mrs. Odell was watching a TV show. I smiled and walked over to the puzzle table and sat down. Caleb shook his head and stood there watching me. Caleb was bouncing on the balls of his feet and I chuckled and walked over to him. Caleb placed his arm around me "Mom, Dad, I would like you to meet my wife." There was a pause before Mrs. Odell was fiercely hugging me and crying happy tears and Mr. Odell was shaking Caleb's hand and congratulating him. Once their excitement had died down a little. 'So I have one more bit of news' Caleb stepped closer to me and wrapped his arm around me. 'We're going to have a baby!' First surprise and then overwhelming joy covered their faces as they hugged us again and congratulated us. 'Do you know what your having?' Caleb's mom asked "no not yet, it's still a little early so we're only telling close friends and family" after all the excitement died down I sat on the couch next to Mr. Odell looking at the puzzle pieces and Caleb sat in the empty recliner watching us. I caught Caleb's eye and I winked at him.