Chapter 44

‼️⚠️I changed a couple of things in the previous chapter. I would recommend re reading it to avoid confusion⚠️‼️

-Caleb-

The next morning I woke up before Mallory to see her sprawled across my chest, her blond hair wildly scattered all over the place. I kissed the top of her head and slid out of bed heading for the shower. I saw Mallory and I's clothes on the floor so I picked them up and laid them neatly on the other bed. I slipped my hand in the pocket of my jeans to pull out the velvety box Mrs. Wells had given me last night and her words ran through my mind as I looked down at the ring 'it was my mother's, it has been handed down through generations. I think it should be a part of you and Mallory's life. You love her very much, I can see it. So when your ready to take that step, that ring should be a part of it' I smiled and continued to the shower and turned the water to hot, stepping in I let the warm water run over my shoulders and loosen up my muscles. I let my mind play over the conversation I had with Mallory's dad and I grinned already thinking about some plans I have.
I heard the bathroom door creak and suddenly Mallory was in the shower with me. I smiled and wrapped my arms around her and swapping sides with her placing her under the spray of water. Mallory stood on her tippy toes and kissed me. I smiled and ran my fingers through her hair scrubbing the soap into her hair. "I love when other people wash my hair" I chuckled looking down at Mallory. 'Well I just like touching you' Mallory stuck her tongue out at me and turned around taking over her hair washing. I laughed and smacked her ass before stepping out of the shower and drying off. An hour later Mallory and I were both dressed and walking through the lobby. I handed the room key back to the lady at the front desk and we walked outside to the truck. I opened the passenger door for Mallory and closed it behind her. I climbed into the drivers seat to see Mallory staring at me. "What?" Mallory shook her head and looked out the passenger window. 'Just.. thank you.' I grabbed Mallory's hand pulling her attention back to me. "For what baby?" Mallory smiled and I could see tears dripping down her cheeks. 'For being so great with my family, for loving me, helping me put all my pieces back together. I forgot what it was like to be normal around my mom and dad. Last night I didn't have to pretend I was okay or that I was barely holding it all together. I really am okay' I nodded and took a deep breath, afraid to speak. I gripped Mallory's hand tighter in mine. "I love you" Mallory nodded. 'I love you too'
I brought Mallory's hand up and kissed the back of it and then pulled out of the motel and headed home. Two hours later I pulled off of the hard road onto the gravel road headed to heartland. I went passed the camper and shook my head. Almost to the overhead going into the barnyard Lou and Peter were in their SUV headed out. I stopped when I got up even with them. "Good morning" Lou greeted I smiled and nodded 'Morning' I looked at peter "we have some business meetings to attend to in Calgary. We won't be home for a couple of days. Georgie is staying here" I nodded. 'Sounds good, you guys be safe' Peter nodded and rolled up his window and pulled off. I sat there a second more before pulling off myself. "Do you ever wonder if Peter and Lous marriage is okay?" I whipped my head over to Mallory 'did you read my mind?' Mallory ginned and shook her head "I'm being serious, I'm not so sure that it's as good as  they pretend that it is" I nodded in agreement. 'I don't know Mal. All we can do is hope for the best' Mallory nodded as I put the truck in park in front of the barn. I got out and walked into the barn just in time to see Badger and Georgie separate like someone had shocked them. I looked at Badger and there was sparkly lipgloss smeared around his mouth and I busted out laughing. Mallory walked into the barn looking confused. "What's wrong with him?" She asked pointing at me and looking at Georgie. Georgie sheepishly shrugged and rushed into the tack room. Mallory then turned her attention to Badger to ask him but then she must have seen the same thing I saw because she smirked and crossed her arms. 'You got a little..' Mallory pointed around her own mouth for Badger to see and he swiped his sleeve across his mouth. When he saw what was on his sleeve his face flushed and I clapped him on the shoulder. "Don't worry. It happens to us all. Scott caught Mallory and I in a similar situation" I chucked again and then headed up the stairs to the loft to change my shoes and stash the ring. I placed the ring with my other valuables and I smiled at myself in the mirror, thinking about how far I've come in life. I shook my head before I got all sappy and pulled on my work boots and came down the stairs to find Mallory and Badger talking about saddle pads and Georgie nowhere to be found. I stood next to Mallory and slid my arm around her listening to their conversation. A little while later Georgie came back into the barn holding a backpack "Badger and I were going to take the old ranch truck and clean out the trail around the rock creek" Mallory and I nodded. 'Yeah that needs to be cleaned up, I tried loping through there on dragon the other day and there was all kinds of stuff in the way. Low limbs, trees down, vines.' Badger and Georgie nodded. "You guys be safe. Keep your phones handy and the truck has a CB if all else fails." Georgie started to say something sarcastic but Badger grabbed her elbow. 'We will be very careful and we promise to check in' Mallory and I nodded and then they loaded up and headed off.

I turned to Mallory once they were headed across the back pasture to see her staring at the side of my head. Specifically behind my ear. "How'd you get that scar?" I took Mallory's hand in mine and ran it across the scar and up into my hair where you could still feel the scar tissue knotted up. Mallory massaged the spot and I closed my eyes and sighed.
'I was at a rodeo in Ontario, I rode my bronc but I got hung up trying to get off. I ended up busting my head open and getting a mild concussion. Nothing too bad. I tried calling Ashley to tell her. I had been trying to call her for hours with no answer or response. They said I shouldn't ride again so I packed up and headed home. A few long hours later I got home to find Ashley and another man in my bed' Mallory took a deep breath but continued to massage the scar. "Ashley's loss, I am sorry you had to go through that but I'm not sorry that I've ended up with you because if it" I looked into Mallory's eyes and I leaned down and kissed her. ' I'm not sorry about any of it. I'm happier now than I've ever been'