{5} The Best Option

***

***

The pressure was on. As the door to the storage room slowly opened, Alex could feel her body tense up. She was hoping that the 'rope' they were looking for would still be in here. Mom could have easily come in and hidden it when she found out that some of the kids knew the secret. Alex just really didn't want to get her hopes up. All she wanted was for this one thing to work out for them.

"If there's 'rope' to be found anywhere in this house, then it has to be in here," Norman said. Emma and Alex watched as Norman looked through one of the many boxes in the storage room. After a minute of looking, a smile appeared on Norman's face, "Found it!" He pulled it out and showed it to the girls.

"A tablecloth!" Emma exclaimed.

Alex grinned, "Smart!"

The tablecloth had been ripped into strips which would make it easier to use as a rope. The three of them took all of the tablecloths they could and wrapped them around their waists. Alex put her shirt over the tablecloth so Mom or the other kids wouldn't see it. The three of them looked at each other and nodded. Now it was time to take the 'ropes' to the specified place. They all headed outside and made their way to the wall. Whenever they get to the wall, they start to unravel the 'rope' from around them.

"We've got our ropes!" Emma stated. She climbed the nearest tree and stopped climbing once she was eye level with a hole in the tree. She took the 'ropes' from Norman and Alex, placing them inside the hole in the tree. She jumped down when she was done.

"Okay. The hard part comes now."  Norman said.

Emma looked down, "Yeah..."

"Just when everything was just getting easy." Alex let out a sigh. She knew that everything wasn't going to be easy all the time, but she still couldn't help wanting to hope for it to be. An escape wasn't going to be as easy as she thought it was. Especially when you're trying to escape from someone who is a lot smarter than you.

They all started to make their way back to the house. Norman and Alex walked in front while Emma lagged behind a little bit. It was pretty silent besides some idle chit chat every once in a while. Emma finally ran to catch up with them and ask, "Hey, guys. Don't you think it's about time we tell Ray?"

"He would definitely be a good help to us," Alex commented. He was almost as smart as Norman so it would definitely be good to have the two of them working together.

"At first, I was thinking the same thing," Norman started, "Knowing him, he wouldn't panic. He's smart and also knows a lot about machinery. I'm sure he'll be able to help us out," The platinum blonde boy seemed to be stuck in his thoughts for a moment. He turned to the girls with a smile and resting his hand on his chest, "I'll talk to Ray. You two should head back for the time being."