{26} Resistance

***

***

Usually, when something bad happens in your life, you ask yourself what you've done to warrant it. It's a natural reaction to something terrible happening. Many people do this actually. Your goldfish dies and you start wondering if you should have fed it more, or less, maybe that was why it died. One of the people who do this type of thing is Alex. She was currently wondering what she would have done in her life that was so bad... That Norman would be killed for it. Surely staying up later than she should would not make this bad of a thing happen. So what did she do that caused this?

Maybe something didn't even cause this for her... What if the world was just this cruel? Why else would she and all of the other innocent kids here be born in this world? A world that was too inhumane for them to live in. Life caused this to happen in her life because life just didn't care about anyone or how they felt. Whatever god was out there just wanted some entertainment so this was how they were going to get it... By watching them suffer.

Everyone was gathered at the front door of the house. Norman and Mom stood in front of the door while everybody else stood a foot or two away from them. Some of the little kids had tears in their eyes that they tried to keep back while others had big smiles. It really hurt Alex to think about how they would feel when they found out what this actually was.

Alex was standing near Emma, Don, and Gilda. Ray was nowhere in sight. He had decided to stay in the infirmary because he didn't want to see Norman leave. To be honest, Alex didn't want to either. She forced herself to come, though. She was going through multiple ideas in her head as a last-ditch effort to help Norman escape. Norman had said that he didn't want to run... But Alex couldn't accept that. It wasn't what he really wanted. She knew that he wanted to live. If it had made her selfish then she was fine with that. She didn't care what she was because what would even be left of her if Norman wasn't there.

"So long, everyone!" Norman smiled as he gave them a wave, "Stay in good health!"

"You too, Norman." Phil waved back.

"Have a safe trip!" Sherry exclaimed.

A gaze of sadness was cast down at Alex's feet. It wasn't until Mom asked a question that she looked up, "Alex, where is Ray?" The woman was currently scanning the crowd of kids to see if she could spot him.

"Um... He's in the infirmary. He didn't want to see Norman off," Alex replied. Now that Alex was actually paying attention, she could see a smile that was directed at her. It was Norman's. He was still trying to make her feel better. He never worried about himself... That's why Alex did most of the time. If he wouldn't do it then someone had to. The redheaded girl tried her best to keep herself from crying. She had to do it. She couldn't let Norman... Alex rushed toward Norman, dropping her crutches in the process. She wrapped her arms around Norman, "Norman!" Alex pulled out the device that would disable his tracker from her pocket. She had taken it with her. "I'll distract Mom for you so please run."