{16} Prepared

***

***

It hadn't taken them long to put all of the books in their rightful places. They made sure to remember where exactly they were for the next time they wanted to look through them. Since dinner could start at any moment, they tried their best to get there as fast as they could. They were all currently walking down the stairs of the house, making their way to the dining room. Alex could hear the sound of the kids running and talking from far away. They always were really loud.

"But man..," Norman trailed off, "Ray doesn't surprise me, since he's always had his nose stuck in a book since we were little... I'm a little surprised that Alex hadn't found out about it."

Alex rubbed the back of her head with a nervous smile, "I was more interested in the story itself rather than who it used to belong to." She skipped the starting pages faster than you could believe. She was only interested in the plot and characters. Who the book was made by and everything else didn't matter to her.

"But to think that Emma was able to decode that hidden message!" Ray said.

"Actually, it wasn't me!" Emma told him.

"Huh?" Norman inquired.

"I wasn't the one that discovered the code," Emma said again.

Alex crossed her arms with a confused look, "If you didn't discover it then who did?"

"Phil was actually the one that pointed it out to me," Emma replied.

Norman hesitated with surprise, "Phil?"

"Yup!" Emma exclaimed. "He just so happened to be reading one of Mr. Minerva's picture books... And that particular book just so happened to be a book on morse code," Alex had to admit... Phil was crazy smart for his age. It was kind of scary sometimes. The four of them had finally got to the bottom of the stairs and walked down a hallway which led to the dining room, "So after that happened, I got curious and went to check all the other books."

Ray pointed at Emma, "See, it all makes sense now."

Emma froze, "Hold up. What are you trying to imp-" Emma cut herself off. They all stopped in their tracks and looked around frantically with wide eyes. Don and Gilda were nowhere to be found. Alex remembered them saying they were going to set up dinner, but they weren't here. "Wait... Where's Don and Gilda?"

That was when the search started. They looked all over the place for them and came up with nothing. Norman was looking into the kitchen when he turned back to the others, "They're not here either!"