{34} Attack

***

***

All of a sudden, Emma ran to a clearing behind some nearby trees. Thoma, Lani, and Alex gave her looks of confusion. What was she doing? She looked really panicked. Did she see something that they needed to be worried about? The orange-haired girl stopped between some trees and her expression turned into a puzzled one. Thoma and Lani called out to her, trying to get her attention. It was like Emma hadn't even heard them. Alex continued to watch the girl with a worried look on her face, "You okay, Emma?"

"Yeah." Emma nodded slowly. It was like she didn't even believe her answer. Alex knew that she would have to ask her about what happened later. Emma walked back to the others as she took one more look around.

Two of the kids, Alicia and Yvette, were looking down at the cave that they had just crawled out of. It was a long way down so they better avoid accidentally falling down into it. It could result in a nasty injury, or worse, death. "I see... These roots don't do too well with the cold!" Alicia commented.

"So that's why they stopped moving," Yvette said in realization.

"It is pretty cold up here!" Mark was shivering from the cold.

"Yeah..," Rossi agreed, "It's even colder than the area we were in when we first fell in!"

"It's good that we have these winter clothes. We probably would have frozen to death without them." Alex stated. It was good that they were able to prepare for as long as they did. It would have been incredibly difficult to get everything they needed in a short time span. They probably would have forgotten things if they had started any later than they did.

Dominic brought up his scarf to his face to block the cold from hitting him, "Why is the temperature so different even though we're in the same forest?" He started to look around for the source of what could be causing the cold weather.

"Who knows?" Anna inquired. She looked around at the trees that stood tall. "Maybe it's because the sunlight gets blocked by the trees here." There was barely any sunlight coming through the trees like she had said. It was being blocked by the leaves which was why it was so unbearably cold where they were. It would get warmer if they moved into an area with fewer leaves.

"Still, it's really friggin' cold!" Dominic complained. Alex nodded and hugged herself. He was right there. She just hoped that they would get someplace warmer soon.

"So..," Gilda adjusted her scarf, "As long as it stays this cold, does it mean that we won't have to be afraid of being attacked by those roots again?"

"Probably." Emma stopped beside her.

"Damn! Thank goodness it's winter right now! Or else we would've been in big trouble." Don said. Alex couldn't agree more. The cold air was what made the roots give in and made their escape. If it was warm then they probably would have died in there.