{24} Concealment

***

***

There was confusion with a mix of surprise on Emma, Norman, and Alex's faces. He knew... From the start? What did he mean by that? How could he have known from the start? Alex had just assumed that he found out the same way they did when he was six... But it seemed now that it wasn't the case. Norman and Emma questioned him while Alex continued to stare at the boy with a puzzled expression.

"Do you three know about 'childhood amnesia?'" Ray suddenly asked them.

"Nope," Norman replied.

Alex crossed her arms and leaned her back against the headboard of the infirmary bed, "This is the first time I'm hearing about it." She's probably read about it before, but if she did then it was too long ago for her to remember.

"What is it?" Emma asked.

Ray sat down on the bed with his hands in his pockets, "How far back in your childhood can you three recall?" This part confused Alex a little more. What did this have to do with anything? Well... Now that she thought about it, it was called 'childhood amnesia.' It obviously had something to do with their childhood.

"My oldest memories must be from when I was three or four years old," Norman spoke. Alex nodded in agreement. Everything before that was just a blank slate. It was like she wasn't even in the world until she was three or four. Emma agreed as well.

"Thought so," Ray commented, "People naturally tend to forget all of their memories from when they were infants and toddlers. This is what is also known as 'childhood amnesia'. But apparently, there are incredibly rare cases where this phenomenon does not happen to some people."

"Ray... It can't be that..." Norman trailed off.

"I still remember things from back when I was an infant," Ray stated. The three looked at him with wide eyes. It was shocking to hear that he remembered back that far when they had no recollection of what happened in their infant years. "My very first memory is of being in the darkness, enveloped in a warm liquid. I remember hearing my mother's voice. I vaguely remember hearing parts of a lullaby. I never saw my parents. All I remember... Are the small pieces... That would eventually lead me to solving this puzzle. We were eventually split into groups of five. Later, I was brought here through a dark tunnel."

"You remember... About the entire year before you were brought here?!" Emma's voice rose to almost a yell. Alex had to give her a look to tell her to keep her voice down. They didn't want the younger kids or Mom walking in because they heard yelling from in here.

The reply they got from him was short, "Yeah." Ray stood up from the bed.

"So you never actually found out by seeing something like we did, but you've always known." Alex pieced together. It would make sense as to how they never really noticed a shift in his behavior in their younger years. There was an obvious shift in their behavior when they found out so it was easy to tell that something was up. Ray had always known so him knowing wouldn't be as obvious as it was when it came to them knowing.