{42} B06-32: Part 1

***

***

Two heads peek out of a hole from the ground. Emma and Alex scope out the surroundings of the forest. The only person they see is Sonju, who is also looking around for any threats. It was still a little cold, but not as much as earlier on in their journey so they didn't have to worry about freezing. From what Alex could see so far, there was absolutely nothing for them to be worried about.

"It looks all clear," Alex spoke with a lowered voice in case there was something actually there. Once she was for sure that there was nothing, she looked over at Emma, "There aren't any demons in sight."

The two of them nod. Alex climbed out of the hole first with Emma right after her. Emma turned to the others inside the tunnel, "No enemies in sight, let's head out!"

One by one, everyone else came climbing out of the hole. The ones who were already out helped the others get out of the tunnel. Alex looked out at the scenery beyond the forest. As far as she could see was a desert with mountains in the distance. It looked really pretty when you actually had to chance to stop and look.

The others seemed to be really wowed by the sight too. They all had wide smiles on their face when their eyes analyzed the scene. Christie and Don voiced their amazement at their surroundings. Sonju, who was standing in the front, pointed out at the desert, "Keep heading southwards to arrive at your destination."

Alex's hand drifted to her pocket where the picture of her and Norman was, "We're almost there... B06-32." The fact that they were so close to their sort-term goal made her excited. Once they completed this goal then they would finally be making some progress. Escaping was one thing, but surviving out in this world and finding a way out of it was another.

Some of the kids ran over to Mujika who had just joined them. They all hugged her with sad expressions. The first one to speak was Alicia, "No, Mujika!" Alicia pulled back to look at Mujika better, "I don't wanna say goodbye!"

"Can't you stay with us... A little longer?" Mark had teary eyes. Alex could see that he was biting his lip in an attempt to try and keep the tears at bay. It was a depressing sight to witness though leaving the two demons was necessary.

"Stay strong." Ray came up behind the kids and placed a hand on their heads.

The two looked up at him. Alicia seemed a little confused, "Ray..." She trailed off.

"These two have places to be, too," Ray told them. They turned to him and tried to compose themselves. Mark wiped the tears away. "We have to be strong enough to be able to survive on our own."

It felt like the right time to step in so Alex did. She wanted to help out Ray with trying to calm the kids down. She bent down in front of the two to make eye contact, "We can't always rely on Sonju and Mujika. Let's do things for ourselves from here on out." It's like how kids would leave home when they became an adult like in the books Alex had read. Except their situation was a lot more dangerous and abnormal.