{32} Beyond Expectations

***

***

A million thoughts circled around in Alex's head. The others had been behind them the whole time... So where were they? There was no way that they could get separated that easily. It would take more than a little distance between them for them to get split up. The nervousness started to build up in her chest as she looked around wildly for any sign of the others. Her looking came to a stop when the ground beneath them felt like it just disappeared.

"Huh?!" Ray questioned with surprise.

Emma and Ray both grabbed the kids closest to them which meant Ray was holding onto Thoma while Emma was holding onto Chris. The wind that Alex felt from falling blew her hair into all sorts of directions which made it hard to see anything. She would definitely have to start carrying around a hairbow with her or something. The girl finally landed with a groan as she hit the ground. The only thing that she could see was darkness.

"Are we dead? Is this the afterlife?" Alex found herself asking. She blinked multiple times, hoping that her eyes would adjust to the darkness around her. She could just barely make out two figures near her. The two figures were Christie and Emma.

"No, we aren't dead," Emma told her. She then moved her gaze to Chris, "Chris, are you okay?" The response from Chris was a simple, 'Yeah!' Alex pouted a little at the fact that she wasn't being checked up on as well. The fall really did hurt. She was probably going to be hurting for a while. Emma started scanning the darkness, "Ray! Thoma! Where are you? Are you okay?"

A sudden yell made Alex jump, "A bug!"

"I don't even have to be told who that was, I already know it's Thoma." Alex knew it from the instance he spoke. Thoma was always freaked out by bugs for whatever reason. He hated them so it was obvious that he would be the one yelling about seeing one.

Another shout was heard in the same direction Thoma's voice was heard in, "You hear that? We're fine!" Alex could hear Emma let out a sigh of relief. Alex was also very grateful that nothing bad happened to either of them. After some seconds had passed, their eyes were finally adjusted to the dark. They were able to see a lot more than before.

Alex looked over to the side to see Ray and Thoma a foot or two away from them. She let out a small laugh, "Emma was over here shouting and you guys were literally inches away from us," No wonder their yells were so loud. They were a lot closer than they had thought they were. Alex started studying the area around them, "It's brighter in here, but it's still kind of hard to see."

"Are we..," Emma hesitated, "Underground?"

"We did fall through what we thought was the ground so..." Alex trailed off.