{31} Escape and the Promised Forest

***

***

Running. Alex had no idea how long that they've been running, but it felt like a long time. They needed to make sure that they were so far from the house that they would have time to relax if they were to stop. The trees were getting more and more scarce as they ran. One of the children, Christie, ended up tripping. They stopped and went right back to running as soon as he got up. There was a light shining in front of them.

"Look!" Don pointed at the light that was getting closer and closer.

They all came to a stop when they got to the edge of a cliff. A smile rose on all of their faces as they looked out at all of the scenery. Emma's smile was the brightest of them all, "This is our first independent morning!"

"We made it... We actually made it, Norman," Alex said. Tears started to build up in her eyes. She was so happy that she couldn't stop herself from crying tears of joy. The group went back to traveling. They no longer needed to run so they were only walking now. Alex saw Emma checking the compass. She made her way over to the girl and asked, "Everything going okay so far?"

Emma nodded, "Yeah."

The sound of the wildlife around them filled Alex's ears. It was a new experience for her and it was absolutely amazing. She knew that the outside world was most likely dangerous, but it also looked so beautiful too. It didn't look as dull as everything at the house did. There were cool animals and insects that she had never seen before. Another thing that was insane was how tall all of the trees were. She couldn't even see the top of them.

Everyone else was also surprised by the huge trees. "They're huge..." Don trailed off as he looked up at the trees as well.

Some of the kids were having a little trouble making their way through the forest. Seeing as the trees were huge, the roots of it were too. They were coming up out of the ground and made it hard to get past them. There were also fallen logs in the way as well. Alex, Emma, and Don stayed behind to help them get over the logs and roots.

"Make sure to be careful!" Emma told them.

"Watch your step," Alex advised. The whole time that they were traveling, everyone was helping each other out in any way they can. Some were even giving the others words of motivation. It was honestly really touching and sweet to see.

"Emma!" Don looked over at Emma.

Emma turned to him and grinned, "Yeah!" Everyone stopped walking. Emma threw her hands in the air with a lot of enthusiasm in her actions and words, "Okay, everyone! Time to rest! Let's eat breakfast!"