{30} Action: Part 4 and 5

***

***

The first three to climb up the wall were Emma, Alex, and Don. Once the three of them were up, they made sure to hold onto the rope so the others could climb. The kids were all taking turns climbing up with the ropes and soon enough almost all of them were on the wall. Jemima went up and Gilda shortly after her. This was when they started to pull up the ropes. This would stall for time for when Mom might come for them. She would have a hard time climbing up the wall with no rope.

Glancing back, Alex could see Ray looking around. He had a shocked look on his face. He was obviously surprised with everything they had managed to accomplish and how much planning was put into this. Alex could tell that wasn't the only thing he was shocked about. Ray voiced his thoughts, "The youngest ones aren't here... Don't tell me..."

"I was wondering when you would notice," Alex started. She took a deep breath as she told him, "What you're thinking is right. Emma and I thought about what you had said to us earlier. We have decided to not bring the others with us." It hurt her to leave them all behind like this... But this wasn't the last time she would see them. They were going to come back. They were going to get them out of there.

Ray questioned her. Emma turned to him while she was pulling up her rope, "We're leaving the youngest kids at the farm," Ray was obviously surprised. The two girls had been saying they were going to take everyone with them and now they don't? What changed their mind? What made them go back on their promises to bring everyone? "But that's not to say we're giving up. For now. We can't bring them with us."

"'For now?'" Ray inquired. Alex nodded in response to his question. What he had heard was right. How did she come to this decision? It was back when her leg was still hurt and she had to stay in the infirmary. Don and Gilda had just come to tell her how the plans were coming along when...

It was about a month ago. It had been about a month since Norman had gotten shipped out. Alex was laying in a bed in the infirmary. Her leg was better, but still not enough to the point where she could walk around whenever and wherever she wants to. The only people who came to visit her were the younger kids and Don and Gilda. Emma was staying away like Alex had instructed her to, so Mom wouldn't get suspicious, and Ray has been distant from everyone.

Currently, Don and Gilda were telling her how things were going. How the kids were doing with their training and if they've been able to get everything they needed for the escape. Don had mostly been taking charge of the conversation, "Everything's going well up to this point. All the kids over five years old are in on it."

Gilda nodded with a soft smile on her face, "It came as quite a shock to some, but we've managed to get through it somehow." That was good. Alex was glad that they actually believed them instead of thinking that they were joking like Don originally did.