{12} Traitor: Part 2

***

***

Leading Gilda inside the room with a hand on her back, Sister Krone smiled. She started telling Gilda to come in and how happy she was that she came. The door closed behind them so Alex and Emma quietly walked to the door. They started to listen to the conversation. Was Gilda really the traitor? Or was this something else? Alex hated to think that Gilda might be the traitor, but it was all her mind was going to at this point. Does this mean that everything before when they told her and Don was a lie? She was just fake crying.

The girl shook her head. She needed to listen to the conversation. Maybe it would reveal something about what was going on. "Now then, Gilda, go ahead and tell me!" Alex heard Sister Krone say. It was a little hard to hear them, but she was able to make out most of it. It was just a little muffled.

"About 'that'..," There was a pause after Gilda spoke. Alex could feel the panic inside her getting worse. What was Gilda going to say? "There is nothing troubling me at all! Thank you very much for worrying about me... And continuously checking up on me. But I am fine now! So please, leave me alone! Thank you again. I will be leaving now."

It was at that moment that Alex wanted to cry from relief. She was so glad that Gilda wasn't the traitor. She felt terrible for even doubting the girl. Alex had just been so on edge lately after hearing that there was a traitor. Footsteps, which Alex assumed were Gilda's started heading to the door. Alex was about to move out of the way so she wouldn't be seen but stopped when she heard something.

"I see. So Emma and Alex have told you everything, now haven't they?" Sister Krone asked. Emma and Alex froze in their tracks. They shared a worried look. The footsteps that were heading for the door stopped as well. "Gilda... You've found out about everything, now haven't you?" It had to be a bluff. She was just trying to get Gilda to spill something. Come on, Gilda! She's just bluffing! "Oh, Gilda, what a shame! I really thought that we could become the best of friends... Does anyone else know? Norman... Ray... And... I'll make sure to let just you off the hook... So come on, let's get along and work together!"

"Please, stop it!" Gilda exclaimed. "I have no idea what you're talking about! It was just a fight between me and Emma! But we've already made up, so there's nothing to worry about anymore!"

"I see. Then I suppose it was my mistake. I'm sorry," Sister Krone stated. There was a moment of silence before footsteps sounded again. The two girls outside got out of sight so Sister Krone wouldn't see them. The door opened and Gilda stepped out, "See you later, Gilda!"

Emma and Alex stepped into Gilda's vision after the door had closed. Gilda's eyes widened and she quickly started to defend herself, "Emma! Alex! Wait, this isn't what it looks-"

A hug from the two girls made her cut herself off. Emma was the first one to speak to her, "Thank goodness! Thank goodness! Gilda! We're so sorry for doubting you!"

"I'm so glad," Alex said.

Gilda teared up, "Guys..."

***

The next morning came by quickly. The day went on as it normally did. They did chores, they talked a little about their plans and how they were coming along, and then they practiced with tag. Alex was filled with this hopefulness now that she knew that she could cross Gilda off as a suspect. It calmed her nerves a lot. Night came just as fast as the day did. Everyone was basically asleep so Alex decided to walk around the house.

It was another night where sleep didn't come easy for her. The girl was walking down the hallway and counting her steps as she did. It was a habit that the girl had developed when she was younger. She always used to do it when she was bored. It really came in handy at this moment because she was seeing how many steps were between the washroom and Mom's office for something she, Emma, and Gilda were looking into. Alex heard someone walking over to her and looked up.

Norman stood there with a questioning look, "Alex, do you have a moment?"

"Yeah, sure!" Alex smiled.

The two of them moved the conversation to the empty dining room. Alex sat on one of the chairs while Norman stood in front of her. Norman had a slightly worried look in his eyes. Alex could tell that he was trying to hide it though. She always found Norman as easy to read since they were kids. They were always inseparable as kids so they knew a lot about each other. They knew more than they knew about themselves.

"I'd like to ask your opinion on something," Norma started. Alex gave him a thoughtful look before motioning for him to continue, "What if... There was a child that intentionally became the pawn of the demons... And what if the child was ensured their own life by acting as a spy for them... Would you leave that child? Or would you take them with you?"

"Since they acted as a spy, they get to live... That's basically what you're implying, right?" Alex inquired. Norman nodded in confirmation. Alex thought for a moment before smiling softly, "No matter what they did, I would still bring them with us. I can't help it."

There was a moment of hesitation from Norman, "Even if that person doesn't wish for it?"

Alex nodded, "I already know that Emma would drag them with us forcefully," The two of them laughed a little at the thought. Emma really wasn't the type of person to take 'no' for an answer, "I don't believe that any of our siblings are genuinely bad. If what you're implying is true then I would honestly understand and sympathize with them. All they want is to live... What's so wrong with that?" She chuckled lightly as she said, "I know that Ray would yell at me right now if he heard me saying all this. I still wouldn't care."

"I see... Yeah, that's right," Norman shot her a bright smile, "I knew you'd say that, Alex!"

"So what brought on this question?" Alex asked him.

"Nothing, really," Norman replied, "I was just curious." Little did Alex know what was going to take place moments after their conversation.