{22} I Want to Live

***

***

It was like time had frozen for Alex. After hearing the startling announcement, her leg didn't seem to feel as bad as it had a moment ago. The thing that hurt the most was the revelation she had just heard. Norman, her best friend, was going to be shipped out. He was the next to be taken by the demons. Alex could feel a pang in her heart as she was stuck in her stop on the ground. He couldn't leave. They had to escape together. They said they were going to escape together... So why was this happening?

Don turned to Norman, "Norman... Is gonna get shipped out?"

Like Alex, everyone else had found it hard to move from their spot. They all just stared from Mom to Norman with aghast expressions on their face. Finally, someone noticed Alex laying on the ground with an injured leg. "Mama... What happened to Alex's leg?" Ray inquired.

"It's completely broken. In fact, I was the one who broke it," Mom's reply was straight to the point. Ray's expression turned into one of anger while Don and Gilda looked horrified. Mom pulled the redheaded girl close to her, "Don't worry. I broke it very cleanly, so it'll heal perfectly and completely with time. But she has to stay in bed for a while. I'd say at least a month or two. (Looks at Ray) I hope she'll heal before your birthday, Ray!" Mom turned her gaze to Norman, "Norman... Make sure to hand that bag over to me as well," She picked Alex up into her arms and started heading in the direction of the house, "Now children. Let's all head back to the house!"

Alex didn't even fight against her. She just remained motionless in Isabella's arms. She was still trying to come to terms with what they had just been told. Norman was going to get shipped out and she had no idea what to do...

***

Now laying in the infirmary bed, all Alex could do was stare at Norman who sat at her side. Norman was sitting in a chair by the side of her bed and stared down at her with a slightly worried look. It wasn't hard to tell that he was worried about her current state. That was one thing about Norman that would probably never go away. He was always putting others before himself.

He was going to be shipped out to his death and here he was worried about her instead of freaking out. Norman speaking up broke Alex out of her thoughts, "Alex..," He trailed off. The longer Alex stared at him, the more and more she could see him taking Conny's place in the back of the truck they found her in. Her eyes widened at the sight that flashed before her eyes. Norman tried to smile to comfort her, but it wasn't working as well as he hoped. Alex to take his hand in her own and squeezed it tightly. "Don't worry. The only thing she took from us is the ropes. She still has no idea about our true plans yet. Your leg will heal soon, too. Our plans will succeed," Was that really what he thought she was worried about? Norman stood, "Wait here. I'll go get you a glass of water."

Letting go of him was the last thing she was going to do. Alex felt like letting go of his hand while letting him leave would make it to where he would never come back. She didn't want him to leave. She needed him. Alex squeezed his hand even tighter, "Don't go."

"I'll be back. I promise." Norman flashed her a smile.

"You know that's not what I mean," Alex gave him a stern look. There was no way that they were going to dance around this topic. They had to talk about it. They had to find a way to make sure that he didn't get shipped out, "You can't leave Norman. You have to fight this. You can't just let Mom ship you out! Please!"

"Everything will be fine, Alex," Norman stated.

"Norman..," Alex started. She found herself unable to say anything else. Norman gave her hand one last squeeze before leaving the room. Alex felt her heart drop and tears build up in her eyes. She tried her best to push them down as she called out to him, "Norman!"

It was then that some of the younger kids came running into the room. They asked her if she was okay and how she hurt her leg. Alex had a hard time coming up with something but was able to figure something out. The kids talked and talked so Alex didn't have to do much talking. She stared off into space while she was lost in her racing thoughts. She just felt so useless in this whole situation.

A broken leg wasn't something that you could forget existed and continue with your life like it wasn't there. Mom said that she would have to rest for her leg to get better and Alex needed to get better before the escape plan. But she and the others know had to worry about Norman getting shipped out. What were they supposed to do to keep him here? How were they going to outsmart Mom? Mom had seen through one plan so she was probably going to see through the one they come up with for Norman as well.

The kids eventually left the room so they could go play. Not long after they had left, two people walked into the infirmary. It was Ray and Emma. The two of them had grave expressions on their face. Alex clearly wasn't the only one who was anxious about the whole Norman situation. Alex quickly sat up when she noticed them, "Guys-" She cut herself off with a wince. She had got up too fast which made her leg hurt more.

"Alex!" Emma exclaimed, "Be careful."

Alex shook her head, "I'm fine. We need to find a way for Norman not to be shipped out," Alex quickly said. Surely one of them would be able to come up with a good plan. Ray was almost as good as Norman with plans so it shouldn't be too hard for him, right? "We can't let him, okay? We can't. I don-"

A hand is placed on her head which had caused her to stop. Ray was the one who had done it. He tried his best to assure her, "Don't worry. I have a plan."

"What is it?" Alex asked.

Ray went into detail about his plan for Norman's survival. Alex and Emma nodded along as they listened intently to him. As soon as Ray was doing explaining his plan, they had agreed to use it since it was a smart idea. Norman walked in a few minutes after with the glass of water he went to get and a grin, "Alex-" Norman stopped in surprise when he saw Emma and Ray in the room as well.

"We have to talk," Ray told him, "We won't let you die. Norman..," There was a moment of silence before Ray talked about his plan to the platinum blonde boy, "Tomorrow, we're going to have you escape alone."