{39} The Two Worlds

***

***

Morning arrived and they were all back on the move. They were maneuvering through the tunnels with Sonju and Mujika leading them. The two of them really seemed to know their way around so it was good that they were all with them. Getting lost in these tunnels is the very last thing that Alex would want. Traveling through the tunnels had to be one of the best ideas. Since they weren't above ground, it would be harder for the people from the farm to spot them. They wouldn't have to worry about constantly having to be alert.

"Be at ease," Sonju looked back at them. "They won't find us down here. I myself built this path, by connecting tunnels left behind by dead vampire trees. It's a true maze. Only I and Mujika can find the exit."

"I'd be lost, actually!" Mujika said.

"They from the plantation aren't very familiar with the forest," Sonju told them. That was definitely reassuring. That means that if they were to go outside to the forest again then it would take them some time to find them. Sure, they would probably still be able to spot them, but at least it would be a little hard for them to find them. "We can just stay in these tunnels until we clear the area."

"That's comforting to hear." Alex crossed her arms with a look of relief. Alex could hear Alicia and Jemima talking about some more water anemones that they found. It was good that they were starting to learn more about this unfamiliar world they lived in. They now had at least some experience or knowledge of what was good and what was bad.

Alicia walked over to Mujika and tugged on her sleeve, "Mujika, do you live with your friends in this forest?"

"Not 'live,' no," Mujika smiled down at the girl. "We're just passing through. We travel through various lands, never stopping anywhere." That was interesting to hear. Alex thought that they had lived in these tunnels, but apparently not. They just seemed so familiar with everything that it would make sense if they lived here.

"Why?" Dominic inquired.

Sonju hummed, "Why, indeed..."

It seemed like that was the only answer they were going to get. Sonju had a toothy grin on his face as he said that. Everyone went back to talking to the people who stood closest to them. This was when Alex realized something. Her eyes got wide and she turned to Emma and Ray, "Oh, yeah! We have to tell the others what we found out."

All of the older kids moved to the very back of the group to talk about the conversation last night. The group included Alex, Ray, Emma, Gilda, Don, Nat, and Anna. Alex, Ray, and Emma explained the conversation they had with Sonju along with what really happened to make the world like this. The others were obviously very shocked by what they were hearing from them. It was hard for them not to be.