{25} Concealment 2

***

***

Out of the corner of her eye, Alex could see Mom looking around. Alex was now standing up with the help of her crutches. She stood with the other kids while she made sure to watch Mom's reaction. Mom was probably looking around for Norman since she looked a little frantic as she tried to spot him. Isabella rang the bell which caused all of the kids to gather together in front of her. Mom looked at each of the kids as she tried to spot Norman.

Some of the kids were wondering what was going on. Mom called them earlier than usual which was a little strange to them. Emma joined Alex's side. The redhead could hear the girl whisper, "He's not here..." Alex hoped that it would stay that way too. Norman coming back to them would be very bad.

"Norman's not here!" Alex heard one of the kids exclaim.

The watch was now out in the open for everyone to see. Mom was checking to see where Norman was. That much was obvious. The woman started looking alarmed. Alex tried her best to not show the smug look that was slowly appearing on her face. The girl found herself whispering, "You're not gonna find him."

Mom pointed toward the house, "Everyone, go back inside for now."

It felt like forever had passed. Alex was waiting for Mom to head inside as well... It didn't look like she would though. She was still staring down at her watch. The worried look turned into a smile as Isabella closed her watch. Alex and Emma stared at the woman in confusion. Why did she look so happy? Alex could see her staring behind them. She froze. No. Don't let it be.

The girl finally forced herself to turn around. She almost fell over from the shock at what she saw. Instead of hiding out in the forest like he was supposed to, Norman was walking straight toward them. He had a tired smile on his face. The kids ran over to him and called out to him. He stopped to talk with them.

Alex shook her head, "No... Norman... What are you doing?" The only emotions that she felt were a little bit of anger, anxiousness, and gut-wrenching sadness. Her mind was having a hard time wrapping around what was currently happening.

The other five, Emma, Ray, Don, and Gilda, expressed their concern as well. Ray looked the most defeated and angry out of all of them. He had a hand covering his face as he stared down at the ground. The main four made their way back to the infirmary to talk. Alex sat down on the infirmary bed as she continued to stare at Norman with a look that was now just hurt. She thought that Norman had finally agreed to listen to them and go through with their plan... And yet he came back.

Before they had come back to the infirmary, Norman had changed into some new clothes. It was the clothes that they would wear when they went to go to their new 'homes.' Alex couldn't believe that he would lie to them like that. She knew that he was worried about one of them getting shipped off in his place, but they made a plan so that wouldn't happen. Did he not believe in the plan? So many questions swirled in Alex's mind.