#38: A Day-Off

Eleanor finally came face to face with Gilbert

Eleanor finally came face to face with Gilbert. She was doing her best not to cry but the sight of the man made her feel weak. The man patted her head and pulled her for a hug. "Farewells are more painful than we think they are, right? Ellie", he said with such a gentle voice. Fortunately, they were at the back. The man felt Eleanor's stares so he led him towards the backyard. The lady just cried and hugged him tight. "Your father will shred me into pieces", he gave a short laugh. 

"I'm glad that you found someone who will take care of you. I had always been worried that you'd turn out like my uncle if you remained single. He's so pitiful, you see. He would go home and just bother me because he doesn't have anyone to talk to", Eleanor continued crying like a child. Gilbert just caressed her back and gently pulled away from the hug. "What you did during the Crown Prince's celebration freed me, Ellie. But even long before you asked for the abolishing of the law, you already helped me break away from those painful chains that were dragging me down. You helped me feel like I was wanted", he said with his eyes warming. 

"That's why I can accept the parts of me that I have been escaping for far too long", he gave a gentle smile

"That's why I can accept the parts of me that I have been escaping for far too long", he gave a gentle smile. "Please be the happiest person, Ellie. I will be forever praying for your welfare. Even if I am no longer at the house, I will be watching you as you continue to bloom like a flower in the winter, amidst all the trials that will come your way", Gilbert removed a clock watch attached from his waist and gave it to the lady. "Make good use of your time", he said then prepared to leave. 

The next day

House of Varian

Eleanor woke up from the sound of heavy rain. She changed her clothes and went down to drink something warm. She sat in the living room listening to the drops of rain. "You startled me", Charles held on his chest. He held a lamp and dropped it on the table. He sat beside Eleanor and noticed a tired look from Eleanor. "Did you sleep well?", he asked. Eleanor just nodded and her head fell on Charles' lap. "I want to sleep more but the rain is so noisy", she explained. 

"Why did you just arrive?", Eleanor asked with a hoarse voice. Charles checked on her temperature and she was burning hot. "Eleanor, you're sick. Don't go to the palace tomorrow. I will tell the Crown Prince", Charles called for a maid and they called the doctor. Charles carried Eleanor in her room. "You grew taller Ellie. It's a good thing I can still carry you. But then, I will not always be this strong to carry you around", Charles sighed.