#8: Another Character

Town

"Claudia, make it fast. I can't wait to see the shops", Eleanor ran towards the cake shop.

"Lady Eleanor, you have to be careful. You're wearing a dress", Claudia said worriedly. 

Since when was Lady Eleanor interested in cake shops? 

She always complained about getting fat. "Claudia, let's eat some sweets", Eleanor grabbed her hand. The girl flushed and just followed her.

They ordered their cakes and Eleanor's eyes brightened. "How can they make such intricate design?", Eleanor felt guilty in eating such beautifully decorated cakes. "My pleasure to hear that. Most especially that it is coming from the lady of House Varian", the head baker went out.

 Most especially that it is coming from the lady of House Varian", the head baker went out

Claudia noticed that people were looking at Eleanor and whispering to each other. Most of the customers are also ladies from noble houses. "Don't pay too much attention to your surroundings, Claudia", Eleanor noticed her. "Lady Eleanor, you're more composed than before", Claudia gulped. Did Eleanor think she was talking ill about her?

"Ahh. I'm not sure. I had always felt those dotting stares even when I was called to the Palace for the banquet. I must have been such a brat before", Eleanor chuckled. Claudia gasped and covered her mouth. "What? Did something happen?", Eleanor looked behind.

 "What? Did something happen?", Eleanor looked behind

"It's just that. Lady Eleanor never laughed in public", Claudia informed. "Claudia. I feel so weird if you keep calling me Lady. Drop the formalities", Eleanor sighed. "Then, can I also call you Ellie?", Claudia asked. Eleanor smiled. "I love to be called that way", Eleanor nodded.

Claudia wondered. Is this the same person who made her cry every time she demanded for her to visit their mansion? Eleanor had always mocked her weakness. Claudia was born into a merchant family and not a noble. Because of that, she had always been the center of teasing in the circle of the ladies' society. That's why Eleanor entered. She stood up for her on one occasion and said that being a noble is not just by blood. It's by proving it to everyone else.

"Ellie, I like you better than the previous you", Claudia flushed. Eleanor stuffed the spoon in her mouth. "Thank you for sticking with me all the way through!".