#16: Who Will Go Home

4th month of Training
Bathing Area

Eleanor peeked in and saw that no one was using it yet. She took the pail and started to pour hot water on herself. It was better than swimming in the river. She heard the door opening and ran to close it. 

Jenos, who was trying to have an early bath, was startled that it was locked. He was about to call one of the elders but suddenly saw the snow falling outside. He sighed and went back in front of the door. 

"I'll be using the divider so you don't have to worry", Jenos knocked. "There's no divider here!", Eleanor panicked. "You are courageous enough to enter even if there is none. There is, it's at the side of the room", Jenos informed. Eleanor saw it and set it up. She wore a towel around her and let Jenos enter. "Nothing is interesting to see in that flat body of yours", Jenos sighed. Eleanor finished scrubbing her body and went inside the huge tub with warm water. "Wah! This feels like heaven", she commented. "Brother said you failed one of the exams", Jenos opened. Eleanor slapped herself as soon as she heard it. 

"Unlike you, you're rocking all of the tests", Eleanor sighed. "I'm barely trying to get higher than you. We're just two or three scores apart. There's no need for you to praise me", Jenos pouted. "Anyways, there are just 2 months to go. If I fail the final test, I won't be able to become a Council member", Eleanor braced herself. "If that's the case, I would just go back and be a laughing stock", Eleanor shook her head.

"Why do you like to be a council member?", Jenos finally prepared to listen to the girl. "I... Thought coming here to the training ground would change my perspective. Everyone here has their wonderful answer. They wanted to make their parents proud, to be a contributing member of their kingdom, to pay forward to the kindness of other people, and the like. Here I am... With my petty answer", Eleanor sighed.

I just want to redeem myself.

Jenos was shocked to hear her answer. He stopped scrubbing and peeked at the girl. Eleanor threw her towel. "You said you will not look!", Eleanor dove inside the tub.

"I thought someone just possessed your body", Jenos went back to his station. "I never thought I would hear those words from you. When we were smaller, you would always say that nothing is wrong with you. You would always rationalize that people just couldn't accept that you are great. I thought that you became less interesting when you started being a goody-good girl but then ... I think I would like to see more of who you are now", Jenos smiled and left the bathing area.

House of Varian
Charles Room

"It seems that Eleanor is going home this month. Those who will not pass the final test will not be allowed to stay for one more month. They'll be sent home", Gilbert entered with a letter from the Council.

Charles grabbed it from his hand. "How dare they give it to my daughter's teacher and not to me?!", Charles burned in anger. 

Gilbert just sighed

Gilbert just sighed. "Anyways, your long nights of worrying will end. Duke Charles", Gilbert shrugged.

"Don't you think this will be too depressing for my daughter? It's the first time she tried her best", Charles said worriedly. "The young lady still has so much of her life to keep trying. Once she gets home, I will be more strict with her", Gilbert assured. "But then, I hope she's not pushing herself too hard", Charles sighed.

"If he doesn't want to end up like him", Charles remembered someone.

The next day
Open ground

"More! I need to train more!", Keane shouted.

"Your Highness, you are going to break your wrist", Charles stood up and withdrew his sword. "Why can't I beat you?!", Keane shouted in frustration.

"You are doing great, your highness. You were able to beat the royal guards", Charles praised. "If I won't be able to beat you, I will not be the strongest. If that's the case, I might die anytime", he sat on the grass. "Your Highness, I have told this countless of times but then... I won't allow anyone to harm you", Charles knelt. "You don't know anything about me, don't you? Sir Charles", Keane sighed. 

What a pained expression

What a pained expression. I knew that kind of face, Your Highness. That's because I once was like you. Scared and insecure. 

"My daughter said you are fond of herbs and that you are a good friend to her", Charles stood up.

"The reason why I am fond of herbs is that I need to find a way to get immune to poisons", Keane remembered all the body aches he had trying them on. "Also, I let Ellie drink my best herbs even if she doesn't know that it was formed from me being poisoned over and over again", the prince laughed.

"Ellie. She's one of a rotten child, isn't she? She's the one who barged into my life and then walked away. Sir Charles, did you know? I really liked her but then I had to give up all of a sudden because she started pursuing the Crowned prince ", Keane laughed. Charles held his temper. "But lately, she seems like a different person. It makes me want to have her back. Tell me, if I can beat you, can you give her to me? I might not be the Crown Prince but I can make her powerful if that's what she wants", Keanne stood up. "She will choose whom she would wish to marry, your Highness", Charles answered.

After a month,

Everyone was in front of the huge board. Names of those who passed are placed in there.

"As expected. Mr. Snow is on top", Zakili pointed at Jenos' name. Eleanor looked for her friend's name and was happy that they all passed. "Once we get out of this prison, let's go and visit your house", Roy held Eleanor's hand. "Ah, I'll be waiting for your visit then", Eleanor's spirit skyrocketed down as soon as she saw her name on the failed list. "I'll be in my room. I'll just sleep for more. I was tired of studying", Eleanor excused herself.

Teachers Room

"Congratulations, my brother. Who thought that you have a big brain?", Ren hugged him.

"Tomorrow will be the pinning ceremony. That means you will be officially accepted as part of us!", Ren celebrated.

"We have two white heads in the house", Rufus chuckled. Fineil also looked at the boy. He knew something was off. "That girl was higher than me in two subjects", he clenched his fist. "I knew she deserved to be at the top of the class if not only for that combat class that you added!", he exploded. "You are her master and you can't even fight for her?!", Jenos grabbed Ren's collar. Rufus grabbed Jenos away from the white head. "She failed the exam. That's why she won't be able to attend tomorrow's pinning ceremony", Ren explained.

Jenos bit his lips and left the room. 

Chapter end.