#20: Coping Up

2nd Day of the Festival 
Eleanor's Room

Eleanor wore a blue dress with a few  embroidery on the side.

"If you're dressed like this, you won't attract men", Gilbert peeked in. "Gil. It's been a long time", Eleanor tried to hug the man but Charles appeared behind Gilbert. Eleanor felt like Gilbert was going to lose their job if she hugged him in front of Charles. "Off I go, father. Is this the right way to bow", she practiced. 

Charles sighed and assisted her to stand

Charles sighed and assisted her to stand. "After today, you will be wearing your cloak. You look good on your mother's dress", he commented and kissed her head. "Before I leave, I'd like to check on Saphira", Eleanor looked at Mari. She led the way headed to the nursing home. 

The mansion had another extension house where sick and old maids were placed to be taken care of. Saphira gave birth some months ago and the baby is already 5 months old. "Milady", Saphira fell on her knees and bowed so low. The baby started to cry. "I am so much in debt with you", Saphira cried. Eleanor raised her and hugged the maid. "You've been strong, Saphira. Then, did you name her Bella?", Eleanor asked. Saphira nodded. "I also told her foster parents about it", Saphira smiled. Eleanor flinched but didn't make it too obvious. Maids who were enslaved due to war weren't allowed to leave their masters. If she keeps the baby in the mansion, the baby will be enslaved as well. "You're such a strong woman, Saphira", Eleanor commended and understood her decision.

Outside the Palance

Of all the places, why do I have to be stuck here? Also, my work starts today.

She got down from the carriage and walked towards the Palace Hall. She looked behind just to see if Keane would be there. She continued walking and caught some maids whispering in her peripheral vision. "Lady Eleanor, You have arrived", Chancellor Dan smiled. Eleanor gave a bow. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Chancellor. I owe you my position in the Council", Eleanor raised her head. "Don't make it sound like that. You're the one who took the exam", Dan patted her shoulder. Eleanor studied the man. He's nowhere close to being like Aileen who is stern and stoic.