#12: Hand Raised

House of Varian

Dining Hall

"I passed the second screening!", Eleanor gave a victory post. Gilbert laughed. "I knew you could do it", Gilbert smiled.

"I'm getting worried Ellie. Your brain is not used to being used that much. Don't you think you're going to break it?", Charles asked. Eleanor froze.

"Is that how much lazy I was before?", Eleanor sighed.

"Ellie, the Chancellor said he considered your entry in the examination because you're a friend to Aileen. Are you sure you're not plotting anything again?", Charles asked worriedly. It's weird for Eleanor to be friends with someone who could be married to the Crown Prince any time soon. Once she reaches her 18th birthday, she will now choose if she will be engaged to the future Emperor.

" Lady Aileen had been telling me that she'll be needing my help. But I think we're becoming friends as days go by", Eleanor said with confidence.

House of Tales
Aileen's Room

"There's no way I am that careless woman's friend", Aileen said with a poker face.

Prince Keane visited her and they spent some time talking inside her room. "I brewed the tea for you. It's not as good as the ones in the Palace", Aileen served the cup of tea. Keane sat in front of her and sipped through it. "You are getting better. The first time I drank your tea, I thought it was medicine", Keanne chuckled. Aileen had veins popping on her head.

"Say, Lady Aileen. You will soon be having your coming of age before the year ends. Have you thought about agreeing to the Emperor's proposal?", Keanne opened. "I thought we're going to talk about the nobles banquet?", Aileen tried to change the topic. "Hey come on. I want to sprinkle some humor here", Keane whined. Aileen saw a bandage on Keanne's arm. "Have you been doing shady things? Your bandage wasn't done carefully. Did you have your doctor check on it properly?", Aileen grabbed on his hand. Keanne was surprised how she was able to notice it. "Oh dear, someone figured it out", Keanne chuckled.

"You have to take care of yourself. I will call our nurse", Aileen was about to go. "It's fine. I just need to wash it", Keane held her tighter. Aileen pushed his hand gently and went to get some towel and a basin of water.

"I will lock the door. We have to disinfect it properly", Aileen poured the wine that was supposed to be for the Prince. "Since when did you learn about medicine?", Keanne was interested to know. "Because I wanted to understand you as well. You have obsessed yourself with herbs. If I don't learn more about it, there won't be anything to talk about", Aileen gulped.

Keane was surprised with her answer and just allowed Aileen to clean his wound.

The next days,
House of Varian

Eleanor walked into the hallway and saw Keane having a sparing with Charles early in the morning.

The lady stepped back seeing how they seemed to be prepared to take each other's head. Gilbert passed by and supported her back.

"Time to have your practice examination. You will be called into the council office again after 3 days. 5 members of the Council will judge your fitness to become an apprentice", Gilbert explained the process.

"After being an apprentice, you will be sent to the mountain top to have rigid training. That will be for half a year. You will come back to take another examination. According to your scores, you will be assigned to the different provinces. The top examiners will be working closely in the Palace", Gilbert informed.

"Palace?! I don't want to meet the Emperor. I feel like I'm going to melt in his presence anytime", Eleanor felt weak on her knees. "If you'd be in the Palace, then it would be interesting", they heard a voice.