#33: To Be Free

Council Building

Eleanor bumped into Jenos while being in deep thoughts of the painful history that had been looming around the building.

Jenos flicked her forehead

Jenos flicked her forehead. "The Crown Prince's coming-of-age ceremony will happen tomorrow. Aren't you going to prepare?", Jenos crossed his arms. "Prepare for what? I don't remember having an assignment for that particular day", Eleanor tilted her head. "Nevermind", Jenos passed through her. "Right. Jenos, mind if I ask you something?", Eleanor grabbed on the edge of his sleeves.

The two walked together. They could see some of the council workers whispering to each other. "What's the deal?", Jenos looked at Eleanor searching for someone. "About Kiel", she finally opened. Jenos sighed knowing what was coming next. "There are some issues that should just be untouched", the man stopped walking. "I don't want that to happen", Eleanor continued. Biting his lower lip, Jenos grabbed on Eleanor's shoulder. "You're going to be framed again. Are you a masochist?", the ash greyhead lectured. "I'll be fine. This time, I'll be more careful. I just want to free Kiel. He's not supposed to be here", Eleanor smiled.

"The law was made by the former emperor. Due to Emperor Theodore's desire to maintain the council's dignity, he allowed the punishment to carry on", Jenos informed. 

Eleanor's eyes widened. She held unto Jenos' hands. "Thank you. Even if I don't say what I want, you know exactly what it is", she smiled widely. Jenos looked at her hand enveloping his. 

"Don't expect me to cover for your stupidity", Jenos gently removed her grip and walked the opposite way.  

Balcony

Eleanor looked around and saw that Kiel was already mopping on the floor.

She leaned on the wall hiding from the man for a while. She's composing herself. How could she get closer without trying to open the wounds of the past? She understands. Being a daughter of the Charles is enough to make him hate her. She was surprised as she heard Kiel humming. She peeked and saw Kiel looking at the sky. 

The ocean is huge and you cannot see the edge of it. 

"Tch! There are so many crimes outside the capital. What are those soldiers doing? Not to mention the Marques. Ever since he came to the capital, the numbers of bandits increased". Two council officers entered carrying their mug of coffee. The other one tasted that the coffee was cold. He threw it on the floor. "What an odd taste!", he complained. 

"Hey, he's already done cleaning the floor", the other one looked at Kiel. 

"He's born to do so, let him serve his purpose", said the one who spilled the coffee. 

Kiel dropped his mop and clenched his fist. He was about to land a punch but someone went in between them. The blonde held onto Kiel's strong arms. "Kiel, there you are. I was looking for you", Eleanor nervously chuckled.