#26: Tea Time

Palace
Crown Prince's Office

Eleanor entered and saw that no one was around. She withdrew fast and stood outside the door. She was reminded by Fineil not to step inside the Prince's room without him asking her to do so or without the aid allowing her to enter. She might have been executed just in case papers were lost or not documented well. She saw two figures walking towards her. "You are early, Council Eleanor", Liam smiled and greeted her. "Greetings to the future hope of Andaria", I bowed with spread my dress. "Do you have an answer to the task given to you?", Xylan entered as Liam opened the door for him. We all entered.

He sat down in front of his table like a true heir to the throne. He has a good posture and an intimidating look yet there is still a touch of gentleness.

"I stepped on a bug yesterday, Your Highness. I have told someone that whether a noble, merchant, or even a peasant. We all die. It's something that we all share equally. I understand that nobles had claims to riches since their families were pillars of the Empire. Like my house, my great-grandfathers fought for the establishment of this empire. But, I also couldn't help to think that the soldiers also risked their lives. Soldiers from the middle class and peasants. With the number of payments given to them, they decided to start a new one. There wasn't always war and soon peace was enveloping the area. They decided to invest and work out their own shops and make their goods", Eleanor stepped forward.

"Nobles continuously dwell on their family heirloom. Middle-class merchants build on their own capital to gain wealth. Aren't we all striving to survive? If we don't acknowledge the merchant's claim with the shops on the streets, aren't we also curtailing their desire to survive? ", Eleanor questioned. Xylan crossed his arms and listened to her intently." It's clear that you want merchants to take shops on the streets. How are you going to share the busy street with nobles and merchants?", Xylan asked for the detail.

"Bidding", Eleanor answered right away. "It is an abuse of your power if I ask you to take away the nobles' right with their current shops. The street was occupied due to the late Emperor's delegation. Of course, he will reward those who have been loyal to him. But then, years passed already. Whoever wins the bidding will be a tenant of the shop. We'll be giving a duration until when the tenancy is available ", Eleanor explained.

 We'll be giving a duration until when the tenancy is available ", Eleanor explained

"Bidding, you say", Xylan smirked as if it was such a ridiculous idea.

"Your Highness, the street is public land. This no one should claim its ownership aside from the Emperor", Eleanor tried to defend her answer.

"Why do you sound as if you're proposal will be rejected?", Xylan crossed his arms. "Liam, request for Council Eleanor's audience for the Emperor", the Crowned Prince commanded. "Yes, Your Highness", Liam smiled and looked at the lady with a congratulatory stare.

He left the room. "I shall get going as well", Eleanor's sweat dropped being left alone with the Prince. "Brew me some, tea", Xylan said while looking into some papers.