#30: GREAT ESCAPES

House of Varian
Duke's Room 

"I believe the Emperor would like to see you even if he doesn't send letters or henchmen to get you", Gilbert poured him wine.

He served it to Charles. "I fear that as Eleanor grows older, I won't be able to protect her further. Gil, would you like to marry her?", Charles asked. Gilbert slightly punched the back of his head. "I apologize. That's a joke I don't want to hear", the man slightly flushed. "I know. You're still in love with her, aren't you?", Charles smiled at the thought of that woman.

"I will be heading back to the House of Franciscans tomorrow. Please don't tell Lady Eleanor about this. Even if I want to spend more time with her, I just can't...", Gilbert grabbed the bottle of wine and chugged it. "Just tell me when you'll ask her hand", Charles' words made the man break the bottle with his bare hand.

"Once you step out of my house, you know I won't be able to do anything", Charles said in a serious tone. "I know that you hated your House. Corruption, slavery, and smuggling. Your house gained quite a reputation. Instead of it being handed over to your brother, you would take responsibility because you want to change it. You could have done it before. What's causing you to do it now? ", Charles leaned on his chair.

"Have you not noticed, Charles? Everything changed when Lady Eleanor came back from death. The Council who hated Varian accepted a woman carrying that blood. The Crown Prince who had always been in the thread of his mother did something he wasn't asked to. That candidate, who had always been an intelligent woman, ran away. There's some kind of magic... That she owns", Gilbert smiled and left the room.

 That she owns", Gilbert smiled and left the room

Council Building
Small Council Room

"That clown went missing again!", Fineil shouted and papers flew all over the place. "Pick it up, newbies", Rufus commanded. "Why should we?", Jenos sighed but did it anyway.

"Jenos! How is your work with the South?!", Fineil felt irritated. "I received a message from the Chancellor's aide. She said the damage had cost a million coins. The pirates managed to run away. She requested another month of acting as the overseer of that place", Jenos informed. "Call her back and relieve her from the position. The Crown Prince's coming of age is near. She needs to attend it", Fineil said with a calm voice.

"Who will be her replacement? I believe there are countless complaints filed in that area. Who will we send?", Rufus asked. Fineil looked at Eleanor. "Me?", Eleanor asked. "This will be the Crown Prince's day. He will also be announcing his wife to", Fineil looked into Eleanor's eyes intently. Eleanor felt like he was staring into her soul. "I won't cause any ruckus. I don't want to go to the South", Eleanor complained.

"Who said you'll be going?", Fineil sighed.

"You'd be staying at the Palace. The Royal carriage came here to drop by your things but I told them to send it back", Fineil informed. "Why? I don't want to work there anymore. Plus, getting involved with the Crown Prince like that...", Eleanor stopped when she noticed how the atmosphere suddenly turned dark.